Chapter 1

- A M E L I A P A R K E R -

I'm sitting on my bed as I watch my mommy pack up all my clothes. I'm holding my dolly in my hand that smells like strawberries.

"Why are you packing my clothes mommy?" I ask curiously. She looks up at me and sighs, ignoring my question and continues packing. "Mommy—" She cuts me off with a loud grunt and drops everything to look at me. "Not now, Amelia! Just shut up and pack up all your dolls." My bottom lip starts to quiver, but I obey and start gathering up all the dolly's on my bed.

I don't know why we're packing. Hopefully we'll be done by tomorrow so that I can see G. I like G and he likes me.

The smell of mahogany teakwood engulfs my nose and I know that my father is now in the room. My shoulders tense up and I slowly look behind me to see him leaning against the doorframe.

"A-are we g-going on a trip?" I ask cautiously. I don't want him to lash out on me. He smiles at me and starts heading my way. "We are my dear. We are leaving for the states tonight. Are you excited?"

My stomach drops and my heart stops beating.

The states? We're leaving for the states? Tonight?

"B-but I won't see G." I'm on the verge of crying now. Daddy groans and sits up, straightening out his suit that he always wears. "Enough of that boy, Amelia. We're leaving tonight and you'll never see him again." He states before walking out.

I'm now bawling my eyes out. I'll never see G again. I promised to never leave him. Now look at me, leaving him. I look up to my mother, but she isn't looking at me. She's just throwing my clothes into suitcases.

I'll never see G again.

Never.

I wake up from my dream to a loud bang outside my apartment. I jump out of my bed and slip into my fuzzy zebra slippers. I'm not in a good part of New York. I didn't have much money to get anything safer or nicer, so this will have to do. But, I like it. It's cozy and even though my landlord is creepy and always looks at me funny, I like my apartment. Expect for when I keep hearing loud noises outside in the middle of the night.

After my parents died in a car accident last year, I left Tennessee and came to New York to finish school. I've always wanted to live in the city and New York is beautiful. Well, some parts. The part I'm in is scary. Especially at night.

I slowly walk up to my window to take a peak outside. There right outside my building are several big and scary men talking and laughing with each other.

Oh they look happy.

Until one man shoots the man in front of him in the chest.

I scream and run back to my bed and curl under the covers.

Think happy thoughts, Lia. Think about butterflies and how good strawberries are.

Oh, now I'm hungry for some.

I try to go back to sleep, but I can't because now I hear sirens outside my window. And then there's a knock at my door.

Here I go again having to talk to the police for the third time since I've been here.

~~~

When I wake up again, the bright morning sun is dancing all around my room. I smile and get out of my bed to get ready for the day. Today is my first day of class. I rush to the bathroom and take a super quick shower, not bothering washing my hair because it will take hours to dry and defuse my curls. Once I get out, I wrap a towel around my body and head to the sink to wash my face and brush my teeth. Heading out of the bathroom, I walk over to my closet and pick out a pretty dress for me to wear.