messy [fluff]

[a/n] gnf isnt colorblind in this oneshot LMFAO

credit to salemnotfound for letting me write this idea :]

prompt: george and dream are working on a project and it gets a little messy

wordcount: 941

Leaves fell to the ground in the crisp fall air outside the window.

The couple stood in their cozy attic. It was a new house, fresh paint on the walls, empty rooms with stacked boxes. It all seemed a bit bland, obviously since they hadn't fully moved all their furniture in, but the design and walls were boring and plain. When Dream tried telling George that he couldn't do anything drastic to change it, since it was likely it wouldn't clash well with their furniture, George got to thinking, 

He turned to his close friend with good decorating advice, Wilbur, and they talked about what the couple could do with their empty attic. Wilbur proposed the idea they make it a hang out spot rather than a storage space. Nothing too flashy or extreme but just somewhere they could chill or get away from one another if they ever needed space.

Only two nights before the present day, George and Dream went on a huge spending spree for decor and furniture specifically for the soon to be hangout spot. They'd bought everything and more Wilbur had recommended--fairy lights, a literal couch and saucer chairs, fake vines, and so much more. It was still missing their own touch however. So, on a quick trip to walmart for strictly food and snacks, George had impulsively bought over $100 worth of acrylic paint. It was sort of a guess to how much they would need for this idea, but he figured it was enough. 

Which brought them here, standing in front of one of the smaller walls of the attic, surrounded by more paint than either of them have seen in one room ever.

"Are you sure you didn't clear out the whole art section?"

George scoffed as he dipped his brush in the yellow paint on the pallet. "Totally worth it though." He said over the soft hum of music in the background, playing their song, kissaphobic by Make Out Monday.

He had no clue where he was going with the painting and it was more free handed, to him though it didn't really matter. This wasn't to pull the aesthetic of the room together, this was to add their own touch to it, something they made together. 

Still painting strokes onto the wood, he looked at Dreams painting progress from the corner of his eye. But instead his gaze drifted to his boyfriend, admiring every small detail about him--like the way his tongue rested in between his lips while he painted; or the way his hair fell in front of his face as he tried to ignore it so he didn't mess up the line he was painting; or every freckle that was so perfectly and delicately placed on his tan skin. If there was any gods up above, they really took their time perfecting Dream and all the little things about him. 

He didn't realize he was staring until he felt Dream wipe his hand across the old shirt he was wearing, and when he looked down, a streak of lime green paint was smudged across his shirt. George looked up only to see Dream wearing an unregretful smile. It didn't bother him the shirt got paint on it, he wore it for the reason itself, more just that Dream painted on it on purpose.

"Feel free to take a picture, might last a little longer--not that I have an issue with you staring, feel free once again." He teased, waving the green covered paintbrush up mockingly. 

George cocked an eyebrow at him. He crouched down, looking for the most vibrant color of the bunch. Settling on a hot, bright pink, George poured a bit in his hand. He knew Dream was watching him, most likely under the assumption he wouldn't actually do anything, since he stood there not doing anything to prevent Georges payback. But then again, maybe he knew what this was going to turn into and that's exactly what he'd wanted. 

George stood up and immediately smudged the paint on Dreams cheek--leaving a pink handprint. 

"Oh? Oh yeah? We're gonna do this now yeah?" Dream laughed, snatching one of the bottles, uncapping it and squirting it on George--which led to getting some on the floor too. Luckily, they thought a few steps ahead and layed down a thick sheet. 

George gasped, wiping the paint off of his shirt and reaching for Dream--who dodged him by moving just the slightest. 

The room was full of laughter and music as the two covered each other in various colors of paint, running around the room trying not the stain the new furniture. It went on for a bit until both were too exhausted to keep up with the ruckus. 

They both stood in front of one another. Having painted each other more than the wall, they found it a bit ironic almost two full bottles of paint were already almost empty--especially considering the size of them. 

"This is definitely your fault." George joked as he tried to wipe his hands off on his pants. 

"Mm..yeah maybe."

Dream stepped closer to George, using the only non-paint covered portion of his hand to tilt his chin up, bringing him into a sweet kiss. George reciprocated the kiss, wiping some of the paint off of his lovers face with his thumb. 

And just before they pulled away, Dream made sure to wipe his hand on the back of Georges shirt.