Chapter 3

A couple of days later, I was sitting on my bed, playing with Lily when Thalia called me. She called me almost every day, asking how I was. We talked at length about my interaction with Damien. I hadn't seen Damien since, and I was glad, hoping that it would stay that way. But even I knew that the wish wouldn't come true.

"Hey Thalia!" I said, a bright smile stretching across my face as I lifted the phone up to my ear.

"Hey bestie! I was wondering if your free right now," Thalia said.

"Yes..." I said slowly.

"Wanna go shopping?" Thalia asked.

I hesitated, "I don't know, Thalia."

"Please? Pretty please with a blueberry muffin on top? It would be just like old times! You can bring Lily!" Thalia begged.

"Alright," I said after a hesitant moment.

I heard Thalia squeal in delight on the other side, and then she told me she'd come over to pick me up in thirty minutes.

 I put on a pair of blue jeans and brown heeled boots that went a foot up from my ankle. I put on a sweater that was blue and fuzzy. I dressed Lily up the same exact way. I'd brought a few matching outfits for us a couple of months ago, and I intended to wear them. I pulled two thick locks of my blond hair and twirled them together before putting a rubber band on the end so it stayed weaved on the side of my head.

I pulled a little bit of Lily's hair from the top and sides to put a small ponytail on the top of her head. Then I lifted her up, balancing her on my hip and walked over to the bathroom, putting her down on the counter. I plugged in the hair curler, making funny faces to make Lily laugh as I made soft curls on the ends of my hair, making my already naturally wavy hair even more pretty.

I unplugged the curler, putting it away then lifted Lily up again so I could take her back downstairs. Lily knew how to walk, but I liked carrying her. It made me feel like my little angel would never grow up.

When I went down, Thalia was waiting for me, looking excited. Noting my matching outfit with Lily, she grinned.

"Awww! You both look adorable." Thalia said.

I laughed, "Alright, well are you just going to stand there, watching us are we going to leave?"

Thalia gave me a mocking salute then she walked to the front door. I called to my mother in the kitchen that I was leaving waiting until she replied before walking out. When we got into Thalia's car, I buckled Lily in the car seat in the back, then took a seat next to Thalia in the front.

A few minutes later, we were at the mall. I couldn't help but smile sadly as I remembered coming here with Damien a couple of times, teasing him about how uncomfortable he looked. But those days were gone. 

I ignored the tight feeling in my chest and lifted Lily out of the car, closing the door with my shoulder. Lily stared at the mall as if it was the most magnificent thing in the world and I grinned at her.

"Ready to go in?" I asked in a baby voice.

Lily smiled at me adorably and clapped her hands, squealing.

I followed Thalia inside, and about an hour later, we had looked at four or five of our favorite stores. I had two bags in my hands, mostly filled with stuff I'd bought for Lily and one or two outfits for myself.

Lily was still bursting with excitement, wanting to look at everything. Thalia was combing through a few of the clothes.

"Thalia? Can you hold these bags for a second?" I asked.