Chapter 6

I woke up a while later, finding Damien sitting in the chair across from me, scrolling through his phone. I blinked a couple of times, wondering if he was actually there. I looked around the hospital room, memories about what had happened flooding back into my mind. 

I looked down at Lily, who's face was less flushed and wasn't as warm as before. I sucked in a shuddering breath, a few tears trickling down my cheeks as I watched Lily breathe.

I felt Damien look up at me, his gaze weighing down on me, but I focused on Lily. I stood up, placing her on the cot and then kneeled down on the floor next to her. I pushed away a few strands of her hair off her forehead and studied her.

"What are you doing here?" I asked, not looking at Damien.

"Your dad told me to get over here. He's outside, and he said he would explain once you woke up," Damien said.

I wiped at my eyes, not wanting to cry in front of Damien. I was still wearing my dress from last night and my hair had tumbled free from it's updo and now fell in curled, messy locks.

I stared at Lily for a couple of minutes, still crouched on the floor, but then there was an urgent knock on the door. I turned my head, slightly, watching as the door opened and then quickly stood up when Thalia walked in.

Her face was filled with concern, and she held out her hands, knowing that I needed comfort. I couldn't stop the small noise of pain that made it's way up my throat as I let Thalia wrap her hands around me as I tried not to cry.

I sniffled slightly as Thalia held me against her.

"Shhh. She'll be fine," Thalia promised.

She must have gotten a look at Lily over my shoulder while we were hugging because when we pulled away, her lips were pursed.

Thalia finally seemed to notice Damien and spared him a glare before turning back to me.

"You're mother is waiting outside with your dad. They both want to talk to you," Thalia said.

I nodded but didn't move, my eyes wandering back to Lily. 

"Go. I'll watch her for you," Thalia promised.

Though I didn't want to leave Lily's side, I trusted Thalia more than anyone, and I knew she loved Lily like she was her own daughter and would take care of Lily no matter what.

I nodded, ripping my gaze away from Lily as I followed Damien outside.

Dad and Mom stood up from their seats when we came out. Mom hugged me and then pulled away to study me, noting my red eyes.

"How is she?" Mom asked.

"Better," I murmured.

Mom nodded with a sad smile and then turned her focus to Damien. She'd always loved Damien, and even after he'd cheated on me, Mom had been mad at him but had gotten over it. Now, however, her eyes hardened, some sort of unspoken warning in there.

Dad cleared his throat, drawing our attention to him, "We...have a solution to keep Lily safe."

His words were careful not to spoil anything and he said each word after a long pause that told me he was thinking through every word he said. A sign that I wasn't going to like this solution.

But if it kept Lily safe...I'd be willing to do anything.

"What's the solution?" I asked, rubbing my nose while sniffling when he didn't continue talking.

Dad's gaze focused on me, nervous and perhaps a little scared. 

"Let me explain before you say anything about my solution," Dad said.

I tapped my foot against the tile floor impatiently, tempted to peek inside the hospital room to see if Lily was still okay.

"You're going to move back in with Damien," Dad said simply.

My eyes snapped to his and I gaped at him as I asked, "Excuse me?"

"Damien's place is guarded. He'll keep you safe," Dad explained.

"Get guards for our house! I'm not moving back in with him!" I said.

"Eve...it's for Lily. Don't you want to keep Lily safe?" Mom asked.

I'd be willing to give up my life for Lily, but move back in with Damien? That's worse than death. But...to keep Lily safe, what choice do I have?

And my parents knew that. After coaxing me for the next thirty minutes, I finally sighed, my shoulders slumping as I growled an okay. Damien had already agreed.

It's going to be a long few months....