Chapter 5

By the time we'd gotten to the hospital, Lily's cries had dulled to whimpers. Her eyes were closed, and you might think she was just sleeping if you don't look closely. But I know her. Her face is flushed and her skin is scorching hot.

When we got to the front desk in the emergency compartment in the hospital, I rushed to the front desk, my voice wobbling as I spoke.

"I'm Evelyn. Evelyn Delia Emerson, and my daughter's running a fever. Please, I need help," I whispered.

The woman at the front desk gaped at me, wondering if she was truly seeing the heiress who had been on the news for the past week, but then noticed Lily laying limply in my arms and quickly directed me to a room while my dad stayed back to fill out the forms.

A couple of minutes later, there was a doctor inside. He pulled on a pair of gloves inclining his head to me as he quickly got to work with Lily as he introduced himself.

"Hello, I'm Dr. Harold. I'll be helping you with your daughter," Dr. Harold said.

All I could do was nod as he opened Lily's closed eyes, flashing a flashlight in each eyes and studying them. He checked her pulse and then told me that they were running tests and that they needed to take a blood test.

I bit my lip, looking away as tears stung my eyes when ruby red blood filtered into the injection's tube. Dr. Harold left shortly after, telling me he'd be back as soon as the test results came in.

I sat in the chair next to the cot that Lily was laying in, and brushed some of the sweaty strands of hair off her forehead.

"I'm sorry," I breathed, "I shouldn't have left you upstairs alone. It's my fault."

I shook my head, sniffling.

I quickly wiped away my tears on the back of my hand, knowing that I couldn't cry right now. Calming myself down, I stood up, kissed Lily's forehead, then opened the room's door and walked out.

I closed the door behind me quietly, then met my father who was sitting on the chair right outside. He stood up when he noticed me, pulling me into a hug.

"I'm guessing it's already leaked to the press that I have a daughter," I said.

Dad nodded sadly.

"Well, that's alright. I didn't mean to hide her from anyone anyway," I said, sitting down next to dad's chair.

We waited there, sitting outside the room for three and a half hours before Dr. Harold came back. From the look on his face, I knew something was wrong.

He led dad and me into the room, and had us sit down.

"Lily...has been poisoned. Don't worry, she'll be better in a day or two, but..." Dr. Harold trailed off, grimacing.

My heart practically stopped when I heard the word poisoned, but dad urged him to continue talking.

"Lily had to have been poisoned, as in, someone had to have mixed something in her food," Dr. Harold said carefully.

"Are you implying that someone tried to kill her?" Dad asked, his voice hushed.

"No. More like...someone tried to hurt her. This particular type of poison won't kill anyone, but there's a chance they could get hurt severely. Lily, will make a full recovery within a day or two, but I would suggest she stay here for at least twenty four hours." Dr. Harold said.

I buried my face in my hands, crying. Dad rubbed circles on my back, murmuring comforting words as Dr. Harold left, promising to come back with a prescription of medicines for Lily.   

"We'll figure something out, to keep her safe," Dad murmured, kissing my forehead.

After a while, dad left to go buy the medicine, and I picked Lily up from her cot, cradling her in my arms.

I sat back down, still rocking her in my arms as I kissed her hairline, letting my chin rest on the top of her head as I closed my eyes.

Just before I fell asleep, I whispered, "I won't let anything happen to you."