Chapter 27

The next few hours pass quickly.

Within moments, I'm in an ambulance, Dad strapped to a cot next to me. And behind the vehicle I'm on, is another ambulance, that holds Damien and his father.

We get to the hospital quickly, and while Damien's crying, I stay completely silent and still.

I can't seem to process everything.

My mind is racing in ten thousands directions, unable to focus on anything that's important.

Damien's father and mine are both taken behind doors that don't allow us in. Doctors rush about the area, no one stopping to even look at us more than once.

I sit quietly in a chair, hands clasped together.

I only remember the blood.

The blood that had been covering Dad after we'd gotten him out of the car.

The terror and panic is a constant force, slamming into me over and over again.

People come and go from the hospital as the hours fly by.

Finally, finally, a doctor stops in front of Damien and I, asking, "The two patient's kids from the car crash?"

I nod, standing up, bracing myself.

"James is fine. He's unconscious, and he had a lot of cracked bones and internal bleeding. One of his lungs collapsed but we made three surgeries and he's in stable condition now. He'll be unconscious for a week or more, perhaps. We're not completely sure," The doctor says, addressing Damien first.

Then the doctor turns to me.

"You're father had more severe damage.  His leg was completely crushed and he probably will never be able to walk again. We can figure something out for that, however. The more serious problem is that his left kidney seems to have failed. His ribs are broken and many of his veins are cut, making it almost impossible to get blood to numerous parts of his body," The doctor says.

I blink, swaying as I whisper, "And?"

"He's in critical condition. We've managed to fix most of the damage, but the blood loss...it's too much. He only has two days left at most and at least...six hours," The doctor says.

I shut my eyes, breathing in sharply as I take that in.

"No," I say, shaking my head.

I cross my arms, and look down at the floor, still shaking my head furiously.

"There has to be something you can do. Do something," I say, looking back up at the doctor, tears welling up in my eyes. "Please. Please. I'll do anything. Anything. T-T-There has to be something you can do."

My voice is wobbling and I seem to be having trouble getting the words out.

The doctor shake head, "I'm sorry, Ma'am. There's nothing we can do. We've given him blood and we're trying to give him as much comfort as possible to make sure he doesn't suffer before he dies," The doctor says.

I sink back into the seat I was sitting in right before the doctor came out.

I bury my face in my hands, trying to muffle the sobs.

In a matter of moments....everything had turned upside down.

Everything.

Dad's gonna die. Mom, Valerie and Thalia are god knows where. And Lily, my daughter, has been kidnapped.

"Okay..." I say, forcing myself to pull it together as I look back up at the doctor. "Is he awake?"

"Not yet. But he should wake up soon enough. For obvious reasons, we don't think it's good to let him have visitors just yet. He'll be kept under close watch and the moment he wakes up, we'll let you know," He says.

I nod, sniffling.

"I'll see you when he wakes up," He says, then nods and leaves.

I turn to Damien, trying not to focus on the fact that Dad's dying, "Where were your guards? We moved into your house so that they'd protect Lily. I want her in front of me soon. Find her."

Damien nods, "I don't want to leave you alo-"

"I'll be fine. Go find her," I say firmly, cutting him off.

Damien looks hesitant, but then nods and leaves as well.

I pinch the bridge of my nose, trying to focus as I shut my eyes.

My phone rings.

I pick it up without looking at the caller id, "Hello?"

"Eve!" A voice shouts.

"Thalia?! Where the hell are you?" I ask, my voice cracking.

"I'm so, so sorry. I'll explain soon. I'm on my way," Thalia says.

"On your way where?" I ask, not exactly able to comprehend what's happening.

"The hospital. The car accident is all over the news," Thalia says.

"What-" I start, but she cuts me off.

"I'll be there soon. I'll explain, I promise," She says.

She'd better.