Chapter 8

I sit down on the pristine white couch across from Damien, lacing my fingers together in my lap. We stare at each other for a long moment and I finally break the silence.

"Let's forget about it, okay? Let's forget about everything in the past and start over. Let's be friends. Or even room mates is okay. Just not...this. Whatever this is. It's too awkward, especially if I'm going to be staying here for a while," I say.

Damien, much to my surprise, nods, "Okay."

I stare at him in surprise for a moment then add, "And I don't want you being rude to my daughter. Even if you don't like her, which is pretty much impossible with an angel like her, be polite. I'm only warning you once, Damien. I swear to god, if I so much as see her eyes turning glassy with tears, I will kill you. Understand me? Kill. You." I say, my eyes narrowed.

Damien let's out a low chuckle, "That fire still hasn't left you, has it? Anyway, I'm not going to hurt a little girl like her or you, so stop worrying."

I stare at him for a long moment before relaxing.

"Lucas and Joey are coming over," Damien said after a minute.

I can't help but laugh. Back when we were married, Lucas and Joey came over all the time, and I'm sure they still do. They used to practically live here.

"We're just gonna hang. You can join us if you want," Damien says.

I smile but say, "No, it's alright. I'll be upstairs."

I stand up, heading for the staircase, glancing back at Damien and find him staring at me with a smile. I roll my eyes with a grin and skip up the stairs. With Lily asleep, I can finally get some work done. I spend the next hour looking through the reports Dad gave me about everything that has been going on in our company.

I hear Lucas, Joey and Damien downstairs, joking around, but I force myself to focus on the papers in front of me. A while later, I hear Lily start whimpering.

I spin around in my crib, watching as she shivers in fear in her crib, her eyes still closed. Her face is pale and her hair is stuck to her forehead with sweat. She's having a nightmare. I stand up, lifting her out of her crib.

"Hey, baby, it's alright," I whisper softly rocking her in my arms. 

She shudders against me and slowly, her eyes flutter open, revealing terrified green eyes.

"It was a dream. It's alright. Mama's here," I promise, kissing her forehead.

Slowly, her breathing turns back to normal and I take her to my bathroom and wash her face then dry it on a soft towel.

"Want to go downstairs and get something to eat?" I coo.

Lily nods, still slightly scared by whatever nightmare she had.

I still hear Lucas and Joey downstairs but I go down anyway. I stay as quiet as possible, finding Lucas, Joey and Damien facing the other way, watching some sport game on the TV. 

Lucas has brown hair and amber eyes with flecks of gold in them. Joey, on the other hand, has blonde hair and dark blue eyes. 

They both are extremely funny, and they help Damien a lot with his work. Being the CEO and the billionaire of the biggest company ever, is hard work. You're always in danger. It's kind of like being the leader of a mafia. It's why I left this life to take care of Lily. I knew I couldn't stay away long, but this is really soon. Lily is only one year old, and she's already in danger. 

And me, being a heir, and in even bigger trouble. Which is why I was trained since I was fourteen to be able to defend myself, how to use a gun, dagger, knife and almost any other weapon.

Anyway, I make Lily sit on the kitchen counter as I quietly open the fridge and pull out the milk and a small cup for Lily and pour it into the cup, I listen to the boys laugh as they watch their TV.

"Evelyn!" A voice scolds behind me, "Left without saying goodbye, did you."

I spin around to face the woman who's talking. I shift on my feet and then we both squeal, running right to each other and crushing each other with hugs.

Mrs. Cassidy, the cook who has worked here for a really long time. She's a lady who pulls her brunette hair into a bun and her light blue eyes sparkle all the time. She's a part of my family and she loves Damien like he's her son. She also loves me and was always comforting.

"I'm sorry," I say.

"You better be. I can't believe you left without saying goodbye," She grumbles.

But when she pulls away to study me, her eyes are bright and she smiles.

The boys have turned to watch us, and Joey inclines his head in my direction with a playful grin.

"Good to have you back, Eve. I was disappointed when you left without cutting off my balls like you promised you would," Joey says with a playful pout.

"Shut up," I laugh.

Lucas grins, "So you're going to leave that as an empty threat?"

I pause dramatically then ask in an almost offended voice, "Have I ever?"

"No," Joey grins.

Mrs. Cassidy watches us with a smile, and then her attention turns to Lily who sits with the cup of milk I poured her. Mrs. C. squeals in delight.

"Oh my god! Is that her! She looks exactly like you!" Mrs. C. says with a grin.

I laugh then frown, "Wait...how'd you know I have a kid?"

Mrs. C. snorts, "It's all over the news. How you walked into the hospital with her. How is she doing by the way? I heard that she was poisoned. And I'm offended. I lived with you everyday. I knew before you did that you were pregnant. All that sickness and weird emotions?" 

I tense slightly since Damien still doesn't know that Lily is his child. He frowns, staring at Mrs. C. with a confused expression.

"You knew she was cheating on me?" Damien asks.

I fight the urge to roll my eyes at him. Since when has he ever been dumb? Why hasn't it occurred to him that Lily might be his daughter?

Mrs. C. looks back and forth between Damien, Lily and I and then her mouth forms an O as she realizes that he doesn't go. I grimace, hoping she'll play along.

"I was just on my way out. I should go..." Mrs. C. says awkwardly.

Mrs. C. gave me another hug, promising that she would see me tomorrow, and then kissed Lily's forehead and left.

I cringed slightly as I turned around to face Damien's confused expression.