Chapter 24

Horror and undiluted panic shoots through me.

"Lily?" I whisper.

I'm trembling.

A broken figure. There's a broken figure lying on the floor right in front of the door.

A young girl with blonde hair.

She lays, face down, on the ground.

"Lily?" I ask again.

I step inside, tears threatening to spill over.

No.

No, no, no.

This can't be happening.

I drop onto my knees next to her. My hand shakes as I lift it to her and gently grab her shoulders, turning her over. I flick the few pieces of hair covering her face.

It's not Lily.

But the girl looks exactly like her. She has the same colored hair and length. She's wearing one of Lily's dresses. I would think that the dress is just similar to Lily's, but the cobalt blue fabric is stained with green, when Lily accidentally spilled paint on it.

I check the girls pulse, my own heart thundering.

Dead.

She's dead.

It's only then that I notice a note lying right next to the girl, folded up.

Your daughter has been taken. This is a warning. Combine your ex husband's company with yours, and then hand them over to me, if you want your daughter to be brought back to you alive. I will know if you follow my directions. If you don't, you'll find her corpse on your doorstep in a week.

~ SS

No. No. No, no, no.

I run a hand through my hair, trying not to panic as I pull out my phone and quickly call Thalia.

She doesn't pick up. Neither does my mom or Damien's.

Before I know it, I'm racing out of the room, until I get outside.

And then I realize Damien has the car.

I quickly call him, tears threatening to fall.

Rage simmers in me as well. How dare  they threaten my daughter?

"You need to come here. The hotel. They have Lily," I say.

That's all I manage to say before I cut the call.