establ-ish-ted oneshot

Hunter gets this huge rush from leaving the castle on Wednesday nights. It's the only night a week where it's 100% certain that he'd be able to see Edric.

With everything happening between Hunter and the crew at the Owl House, which was textbook treason, Hunter's hypervigilance has been on overdrive for the past few weeks.

He's discovered a lot about the outside view of the Emperor's coven. Needless to say, he's planning his escape as soon as he can.

But Hunter doesn't think about all of that on Wednesdays. He thinks about Edric and him finally being able to see each other for a few hours. A few measly hours of whispers and shared laughs, stolen glances, cheeks flushing at nothing, and napping together like nothing else matters.

Hunter soared as quickly as he could and as recklessly as he had. He began to take in the subtle scent of abomination goo, meaning he was getting closer and closer to the Blight Manor. He slowed his pace and listened carefully, just in case there was anything going on he should know about.

As he listened, he heard murmurs between the married couple that were getting progressively louder, and he decided is was a good time to go see Edric.

The less Edric had to hear of that, the better.

Edric lay under the weighted comforters of his bed, feeling heavy and hollow. He couldn't shake this chronic loneliness he was experiencing. He kept feeling like it was stupid. He has an entire family, a friend group, another sort of friend, and he still feels like this? Isolated? Hopeless? Like the days are melding together?

Speaking of the days melding together, Edric completely forgot that this was Wednesday night, so the shrieking of skin on his window definitely gave him a scare.

Hunter sprawled his open palm against the glass of Edric's window, making a squeaking noise inside. 

Edric sprung up from his curled up position, thankfully not making a noise so as to bring the Blight parents upstairs.

"Hunter?" Edric asked through a clouded throat. Hunter smiled widely at him.

"Edric." He sighed, stepping off of his staff and into Edric's room.

"It feels so early for you to be in here, what, what day is it?" Edric asked, scrambling to his feet.

Hunter chuckled lowly. "It's Wednesday, sleeping beauty." He said fondly, but something stopped him in his tracks. He noticed Edric's under eyes switching between red and a deep blue, showing tears and exhaustion. His hair was scruffy and unkept, and his clothes seemed tattered and old, maybe worn in. 

"Edric?" Hunter asked, cocking his head. "Hey..." He said, slowly walking towards Edric, who crossed his arms and looked away. "What's wrong, Ed?" Hunter asked, running careful hands up and down his tense arms.

Edric sighed, relaxing into the touch. "My brain has just... been an ass lately. Telling me things I know aren't true." (BUT I CANT STAY AFLOAT THERE'S ROCKS IN MY THROAT SO ILL SINK DEEPER INTO THE BLUE) Edric sniffs out, finally meeting eyes with Hunter. His heart skips a beat at how concerned Hunter looks. He feels selfish for liking the pained expression on his face, but he can't help it. After all he's felt like no one cares for weeks now, this was a nice change.

Hunter nodded. The two stayed in silence for a moment. "C'mon. Let's talk about it." Hunter says calmly, holding onto Edric's hand to lead him to his bed. 

Hunter flopped onto the mattress. "Talk to Hunty." He sighed, patting the side of him. "I will board my windows if you ever say that to me again," Edric chuckled, laying on his side to face Hunter on his back. 

Hunter pauses, turning to lay on his side to be face-to-face with Edric.

"What's your brain been saying to you? You know, the things that aren't right?" He asks tentatively, drawing his finger over the cloth of the sheets. 

Edric is admittedly surprised by the gentle nature of Hunter's question. Edric is used to Hunter's abrupt and hostile demeanor but has become fond of the softness Hunter has grown into.

He blushed at the awkwardness of Hunter's position, stiff and looking away.

"Um... It's just been telling me that... I'm by myself? Like the people in my life don't care as much as I know they do... It's wrong and it's dumb, I know, but it still makes me feel bad." Edric said, pausing more than he expected to.

"No that makes sense. Mine does that too. I just try my best to remind myself that it's wrong, you know?" Hunter almost whispered. "There are... a lot of people that care about you, Edric." Hunter said, moving his hand closer to where Edric was.

Edric felt his face go completely red. Tomato mode. Amity time. He couldn't get his thoughts together for a good half minute. What did Hunter mean about that? And the sound of his name coming from Hunter, why was that making him feel like that?

"Yeah... you're right..." He said softly, inching closer to Hunter as he gulped down his thoughts.

Hunter looked between his own hand and Edric's. The space between them began to close as the two of them moved their fingers closer.

Their pinkies linked. Hunter felt his ears burn bright red, and Edric felt his soul leave his body.

From one finger. One touch. One phrase. One night. One time.

Hunter looked back up at Edric who was peering at him through messy green hair. Hunter looked away bashfully before reaching with his other hand to clear his face of his hair. 

"Why'd you do that?" Edric whispered. Hunter flushed again, looking back at him. "Wanted to see more of you... I... I guess." Hunter muttered out, closing in on himself. Hunter felt strong hands pull him closer to them by his arms. As he looks up, he sees Edric looking into his eyes with a softness he'd only ever heard of.

"Hi..." Edric smiled. Hunter felt like his ears were gonna melt off. "I'm here now..." Hunter whispered. 

"You said before that you try to tell your brain it's wrong when it lies to you like that?" Edric said quietly, as if speaking too loud would break the both of them.

Hunter nodded, unable to verbalize his thoughts.

Edric smiled widely, moving one hand from Hunter's arm to his cheek, running lines up and down his scar. 

"It worked." Hunter felt himself shudder at the intimacy. He's never been in a situation remotely like this and had no idea what to do about it.

Hunter could, however, bring himself to smile. "I'm glad, Ed..." He said softly, bringing a hand to Edric's chest.

A moment of silence passed as the two basked in the closeness of each other, breathing in sync.

Edric bit his lip while looking at Hunter's. "Hunter..." He felt chills hearing his name in this scenario. 

"Yes? Edric?" Edric's skin felt like static in that moment, buzzing everywhere it could. 

"Can I kiss you?" He asked as gently as he could manage. Hunter felt himself blush but he didn't know why, maybe embarrassment? Maybe he was embarrassed at not knowing what that meant.

"I'm not entirely sure what that is but go for it!" Hunter said, giving Edric a thumbs-up. Edric chuckled. "Do you trust me to... show you what it is? It's okay if not but-" 

"-yes. Whatever it is." Hunter said surely. He hadn't felt that secure about a decision in a long time.

Edric smiled, blushing again as he looked back to Hunter's anticipated grin.

Edric leaned towards Hunter and softly pressed his lips against his. Hunter's eyes fluttered shut as he melted into the contact, pained when it went away. It felt like everything in the world all at once, and it was gone before it had time to last.

"Was that okay?" Edric asked, mind racing between every possible answer Hunter could give. 

Hunter nodded, eyes sparkling and lips parted. "Can you do it again?" 

Edric smiled, and leaned in again.