the grom episode

Edric was literally laying on the ground outside of the gym where everyone else was having the time of their lives. Emira sat next to him, seemingly more sad than he was. 

"You okay, Em?" Edric asked, with no energy in him whatsoever. Emira teared up. "Yeah, Ed. I'm gonna," she paused to sniffle and wipe clean her wet cheeks. "I'm gonna go grab some punch, do you want anything?" She asked weakly. Edric looked up at her. "You're not gonna get punch, are you?" Ed asked, knowingly. She cried and shook her head. "I wanna go home," She sobbed into herself.

"I feel like an idiot and I don't want to be here. But I wasn't gonna drag you with me so I was just gonna go alone, I think I need some space." She said in between hics and breaths. Ed looked at her in shock, he never sees her like this. 

"Em I can go with you-" "No, Ed. Please, I'm sorry, you should get to enjoy your night. I can't do anymore of this sitting around and... in this sticky scratchy dress." She chuckled through a pained face. Edric nodded. 

"Please call me if you need me to come home-" He was cut off by her standing up and storming out. His chest felt hollow. He didn't know how to help her, or even how to help himself. It's not abnormal for him to feel helpless, he felt like that all the time. But never about Emira.

He sat up, pulling his knees to his chest. He let himself cry a bit, dampening the cloth covering his knees.

Edric just didn't understand. Why did every chance he had with someone that seemed right for him always fail? Always end in the worst possible of ways? But worst of all, this was Emira's first major heartbreak. He couldn't wrap his head around why her date wouldn't show.

As he sat with his thoughts, he could hear faint and calculated footsteps in the empty hall, nearly drowned out by muffled music behind the closed door.

He looked up to see... A coven scout? At, at grom?

"Hello there." A familiar voice said, behind the beaked mask. Edric looked up at the figure standing before him.

Edric sniffles and rubs his eyes dry. He thinks he might be able to pick up on who it was, but then the mask muffled any distinctive vocal features. 

"Hi? What are scouts doing here?" Edric said, looking behind them to see if there were any others.

The figure sighed. "There have been orders for supervision at all school events that involve almost the entire campus. It's a new policy." They said flatly.

Edric rolled his eyes. "So why are you out here entertaining me, when you should be looking for kids sneaking in apple blood or... snakes tears?" Edric said coldly, looking down into himself.

The scout paused, but took a seat next to the student.

"Everything's been fine for hours now. Honestly, I have nothing to do until the night ends. And you don't seem to be doing too well. Wanna talk about it?" They said, genuinely. 

Edric looked over to them, raising a brow. "Why? Why would I talk to you about my issues? I don't even know what you look like, how old you are-" he was cut off by the sound of metal banging onto the floor as the scout took off their mask.

Edric's face beamed at the sight of the Golden Guard.

"Hunter!" He exclaimed, hugging onto his shoulders aggressively. "Edric!" Hunter spat, trying to pry the crying boy off of him before his ears melted off. 

"You, you wouldn't belieeeeve the day I've had goldie, and, and I haven't seen you in so lo-long I thought maybe you didn't like me anymore either," Edric cried obnoxiously loud into Hunter's leg. Ordinarily, Hunter would have laughed with him and tried something to cheer them both up, but this particular breakdown seemed to be held together by a thread, and not a thick one. He was more concerned than he wanted to let on though, so he just rubbed unsure patterns into his back.