What Changed

Sam gave his speech, I swear he has to have written it down before hand. Cheers erupted all around as Sam walked over towards Bucky and I.

"Nice speech there Cap" Bucky said.

Sam let out a laugh and clapped Bucky on the shoulder.

"Thanks Buck" Sam replied.

Bucky returned with a smile and brought Sam in with a quick hug. Sam let out a sigh of relief and hugged my brother back, giving him a clap on the back before walking over to me.

"There's my girl" He said with a smile.

"Hey Captain" I said.

He let out a chuckle and brought me into a hug kissing the top of my head.

"You did really great" I told him rubbing my hand up and down his lower back.

"Thanks love"

He pulled away but still kept his arms around me keeping me close. I smiled him and pulled him in for a quick kiss. I felt his lips curl into a smile before we pulled away.

"My gosh cool it with the PDA" Bucky teased.

"Oh shut up Buck" I laughed, Bucky gave me a playful roll of the eyes before we walked away.

Sam kept his arm around my waist as we walked down the street back to the car.

"They love you" I said glancing back at the crowd of people.

"I was worried they weren't going to like me" Sam said.

I gave him a small smile and gave his hand a reassuring squeeze. We climbed into the car, Sam driving and me in the passenger seat leaving Bucky being third wheel in the back.

"Is it alright if I make a quick stop at the Smithsonian?" Sam asked starting the engine.

"Not giving that shield back are you?" I teased.

"Wouldn't dream of it" Sam said with a smile.

"Then of course" I replied.

Sam began driving towards the museum the radio playing quietly in the background filling the silence. Sam rested one hand on the wheel and one on my thigh.

I looked over to him and he gave me a smile giving my thigh a squeeze.

"Two hands on the wheel Wilson" Bucky chimed in from the back.

"The roads are quiet but I'm glad your concerned for our safety" Sam retorted glancing over at me.

We pulled into the Smithsonian car park and glanced up at the building, which thankfully was still open. I'm sure they made an exception for the Captain.

"Hey Buck would you mind driving the car home I'll find a way back" Sam said.

Bucky nodded and hopped out of the car.

"Care to join me?" Sam asked.

"Of course" I replied climbing out of the car.

Sam tossed the car keys to Bucky.

"Try not to crash her" Sam teased.

Bucky gave a sarcastic salute to Sam and drove off. Sam extended his hand which I gladly took. He lead me into the museum.

"Wait here I'll just have a quick chat with the staff" He said giving my hand a squeeze.

He jogged off towards the office and had a chat with them coming back a few minutes later.

"I convinced them to let us stay after closing" Sam smiled jingling the keys

"No one can say no to Captain America can they" I smirked.

"No they cannot" Sam laughed placing a kiss on my cheek.

He took my arm and we walked around the museum arm in arm. It was nice and quiet. When we got to the Captain America exhibit I smiled slightly at the empty cabinet where the shield once was held.

"I feel like they should fact check this stuff" Sam said looking down at me.

"Do you want me to tell you what really happened?" I asked Sam.

He gave me a nod and I smiled up at him.

"You know I'm pretty sure Steve was much smaller than they say he is" I said pointing to the cardboard cut out of pre serum Steve.

"Are you sure because I mean look at him" Sam laughed picking up the cardboard cutout making me laugh.

"Yeah he was actually shorter than me this is not accurate" I laughed comparing my height.

"So I've never really asked how was the 40s?" Sam asked.

"I mean it definitely wasn't great but we managed" I said.

"What about the howling commandos?" Sam asked.

A slight smile appeared on my face.

"It was great" I smiled at Sam.

"We had many great times, granted most of the time we were wasted" I laughed.

"Sounds like a blast" Sam laughed.

"Oh it was" I said.

"Do you wish you could go back?" Sam asked me.

I stopped walking and turned him tk face me.

"I used to wish that I could go back but now, I can't imagine a life in the fourties" I admitted.

"And what changed?" Sam asked.

"Oh this will sound cringey" I groaned placing my head on Sam's chest.

Sam let out a laugh and shook his head, placing his hand on my waist pulling me close.

"I'm sure it isn't" Sam said.

"Well I guess you, being reunited with Buck too but you. In the 40s there was no one who made me feel the way that you do. I never felt connected to anyone like how we are" I told him.

Sam pulled back so he could look into my eyes. His expression was soft as he smiled down at me.

"I've never felt anything for anyone like how I feel for you aswell" Sam said with a wide smile.

Sam pulled me forward by my belt and placed a needy kiss on my lips. I laughed lightly and kissed him back bringing up my hand to rest on the back of his head as I tilted my own head to give Sam more access.

Before the kiss got too heated we both pulled away both smiling like idiots.

"I don't think the guards would be happy with us fucking in the museum" I joked.

Sam let out a laugh and nodded his head in agreement.

"Why don't we go check out the dinosaurs you fossil" Sam teased.

"Hey shut it" I laughed back as we headed towards the dinosaurs.

Sam let out laugh pulling me towards the next exhibit.

"This is the sweetest thing anyone has ever done for me" I told Sam.

"Really?" He asked.

I let out a laugh and nodded my head looking up to Sam.

"Yes, obviously no one has booked out a whole entire museum for me" I said.

"Well you deserve it" Sam said kissing the top of my head.