13.

Shanell

"Baby, what's wrong?" Cain asked as I laid in the bed with the covers pulled over me, shaking frantically and I watched as he began to get dressed.

"Whatchu' cryin' for?" He kept asking me but I stayed completely quiet, not say anything.

I'd thought Lante had already told him since he was calling from everybody else's phone but he must've held off just for now so he could say it to him in person.

"Can you tell me what I did?" He went on asking and I laid there with wet eyes, knowing this was all about to go bad.

It'd been a long week and I can't say that I wasn't enjoying it though I was being devious because I really was. Just as much as him. But I knew it wouldn't last long and this was the part that scared me the most.

Him finding out.

As I sat there mute, trying to collect my thoughts and prepare myself, he just looked at me with stern eyes, trying to read me.

"Talk to me, Shanell." He practically begged, calling me by my full name as I softly wiped my face.

"What's gon on'?"

"Whatchu' pregnant or sum'?" He blurted out and I looked at him with knitted eyebrows.

"What, Cain?" I asked him since he'd caught me completely off guard and he couldn't help but to laugh as I softly did the same.

"Nah. I'm just sayin' babygirl, this was exactly how you was when you found out we was having Mya."

"Plus the way you been acting all week.." He trailed off, looking into my eyes.

"No, Cain." I clarified, getting that idea out of his head.

"I'm not pregnant." I told him and he nodded in relief. 

"Aight."

"Well, look, babygirl."

"I'a be right back, Aight? I got sum' to handle real quick but I'm coming right back home to y'all."

"I promise."

"And when I do, we gon' talk. I'm tired of seeing tears in your eyes and I want to finish making shit right." He told me and I bit my lip nervously as I quickly got out of the bed and stood to my feet.

Saying nothing else, I stood on the tips of my toes and hugged him tight before I pulled back and looked up into his eyes. When I did, he bent down and gently kissed my lips. And I knew that would be the last kiss I'd be getting from him for a long time.

He finally giving me everything I'd ever asked for of him but after he found out, which he would, all of this stuff, this new house, the rebuilding us, the new attitude, all of it would be over and he'd want my and his cousin's head.

And I needed to prepare myself for that.

"I love you, Cain." I told him as he bent down, kissing me again.

"I love you too, ma."

"Just calm down, Aight?"

"I'a be right back." He went on saying, about to walk out of the room and I panicked as soon as he did.

"No." I blurted out, coming up with a quick plan. I knew I couldn't just be here when he found out.

"What?" He asked, stopping in his tracks as I thought quickly, trying to figure out where I wanted to be when he got the information.

At first, I thought of my dad's but I quickly got rid of that idea. He was already sick and he didn't need our drama. I then began to think harder before I quickly gathered a plan.