23.

I'm finishing this.

Shanell
2 months later
9pm

"Come on, Shanny."

"We're going to be late, ladies free before 10 and I am not paying." Lima turned her lip up as I stood in her mirror, making sure my makeup was cute.

"You look cute, best." Bi said to me, coming out of the bathroom and I smiled small, doing a quick 360.

"Thank you."

"You look cute too, boo." I said as Lima came into looking at the both of us.

"Come on y'all." She urged us and we nodded, doing our last final touches before we quickly made our way out of the room.

It was a Friday night, we were all finally off from work and Ms. Alexander had Mya so I could go out with Lima and Bianca and enjoy myself.

I'd been working my ass off, seven days a week and working late hours still for the passed few months since I had all my own bills to pay now. And I wasn't complaining considering it was a good system, I was on my own and I was finally providing for myself and for Mya.

And I had a lot of help so I wasn't complaining at all.

Quickly walking out of the door, we all made our way down the long flights of steps and I tried my hardest to take my time in these heels because I was not trying to fall again.

"Hold on, bitch." Lima said jokingly and I laughed out loud as Bi and I held each other's hand.

Our heels clacked onto the cement and we made sure not to fall as we heard loud voices coming from down below.

"Girl." I laughed, feeling Bi buckle a bit as we finally reached the last step.

When we did, there was a large group of guys standing in front of Lima's apartment building. At first, I thought they were just random guys until I saw Delante's tall figure on one side while Cain's tall figure stood up against the well, smoking a blunt, on the other.

Cain and I's eyes made immediately contact as he looked over my face then down at what I had on before I did the same to him.

"What's up?" He then spoke to me, licking his lips slowly.

"Hey." I smiled small, waving to him.

"Come on." Lima then pulled my arm as I low key stood there in a trance since I hadn't seen him in such a long time.

We were doing so good with good parenting that we didn't even have to see or talk to each other. We had come to an complete understanding with times and dates all while family made sure to work with us but seeing him now, I can't lie, he looked good.

So good.

"Damn." I heard him say under his breath as a few guys said the same thing slickly.

"Where y'all bout' to go?" Another one of them asked, watching us closely as we brushed through them.

"Mind your business." Lima flagged him off, making Delante laugh as we made our way, walking away from them.

As we did, they continued saying slick things and I looked back at Cain once more, looking at how good he looked as he stood there calmly, just smoking.

It's for the best, Shanell. I kept telling myself as I broke away from my trance.

"Come on, Shanny." I then heard as Lima and Bi made their way over to the Uber that'd just pulled up for us.