16.

Shanell
1 month later
7am

"Eat your food, baby."

"Mommy has work in an hour and I still need to drop you off at auntie Lima's so you can see your dad." I said to Mya as she ate at her little table, eating her food and singing songs.

"Ok, mommy." She smiled to me as a knock came to my front door and I quickly made my way over to it to answer it.

"Hi?" I spoke with a knitted eyebrows, seeing the landlord nervously standing at my front door as he looked around as if he was watching out for someone.

"Hi, I'm here for the rent." He spoke barely above a whisper.

"He didn't get any form of payment this month and I explained to him I'm willing to take cash especially for you two." He went on saying and I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion before it instantly clicked.

He's not going to pay the rent anymore. I thought to myself as I sighed heavily, looking behind me at Mya still singing to herself and eating her food.

"Um.." I started but stopped, trailing off.

"I actually don't have any money on me right now, I have to run to the bank." I lied, knowing I was not prepared to make any rental payments this month.

I had so many other things to pay like my father's multiple hospital bills that seemed to continuously pop up with large deductibles, even with my job's insurance.

Fuck. I thought.

"Okay."

"Well I need the rent by this afternoon or I'm going to have to issue a ten-day warning to you." He went on saying to me and I looked at him like he had two heads.

"A ten-day warning? For what?" I asked in confusion and he nodded his head in confirmation.

"Yes, ma'am. A ten-day warning before an eviction notice. If you refuse to leave, I will have to call the police and collections will have to come and take all of your stuff."

"Now I don't want to do that, I don't want any problem and I'm so sorry for any problems this may cause you but I need the rent." He held his hand up shakily and I stood there in disbelief that this was even happening.

I wasn't expecting this, it was all so sudden.

"Okay." Was all I said, waving him off completely before I closed the door behind me and placed my back against it.

I stood there for a while, contemplating what I was going to do. In the back of mind, I thought about Cain's stash in the back room but quickly realized that was all too.

He'd taken everything out of here like he'd promised but now I needed it.

Sighing heavily took my self, I took a long deep breath before I got up from the door and my phone instantly began to ring.

"Mommy, phone's ringing." Mya said to me as she pointed at my phone on the counter.

"I know, baby. Thank you."

"Finish up with your food." I told her again, quickly making my way over to my phone and answering the unusual number

"Hello." I said, calming my nerves from the stress that was starting to build.