Chapter 25

Ethan POV

After two very very bad races to start this weekend, I was on the back foot on this championship fight as we head to the final race of this Formula 3 season. Heading into this race, I was 13 points behind Dennis Hauger in the championship fight meaning if I want to win, I will have to win the race and have Dennis Hauger finish in 5th or below. Things weren't looking good for me as Dennis Hauger will be starting in 4th position. However, like my dad said, nothing is impossible. I need to head into this race with a positive mind and with the thought that I could bring the championship home.

Race 3

Getting strapped into the car, I readied myself for the final race of this season. There was literally nothing to lose this time, starting on pole position, I know I need to win this race. With one goal in mind, I anticipated on the five red lights desperate to get a good start. As the five red lights went out, I managed to get off the line smoothly without any problems. Looking into my mirrors I saw Fredrik Vesti trying to make a move down the inside but I managed to cover it off into the first corner, keeping my lead.

Alex Brundle: For one final time this season, it's lights out and away we go for the final race of the Formula 3 season, Ethan Chou gets away well but is under pressure from Fredrik Vesti. Chou covers it off as they head into turn 1, Ethan Chou leads.

I don't really know where Dennis Hauger was in the race but I was under immense pressure from Fredrik Vesti and Victor Martins behind. Even though I managed to keep my lead after the first lap, I was struggling to keep them behind on the straights, having to weave around to try and break the tow which was flirting with the limits of the race director. Entering lap 3, I was still in the lead but Fredrik Vesti and Victor Martins will have DRS to try and challenge my win, this was seriously the last thing I needed for this race.

It really wasn't easy keeping Fredrik Vesti and Victor Martins behind when they are quicker and have DRS. Finally, after many laps of hard defending later, I had to concede my lead with Fredrik Vesti charging through me on the pit straight. I tried my best to defend but Fredrik Vesti was just too quick with the help of DRS. Conceding my position, I dropped to 2nd place and was battling Victor Martins.

With me running in second, I now need Dennis Hauger to finish in 8th or below or else I will lose this championship. There was a lot of things going through my mind right now, I need to keep within 1 second of Fredrik Vesti so I could get DRS to attack him, I need to defend from Victor Martins behind to keep my second place and I also need to calculate the points that I need Dennis Hauger to score if I want to win the championship by finishing 2nd. It was a very close title fight but currently things aren't really looking good for me.

However, arriving at the latter stages of the race, I sense that I have better tyres than Fredrik Vesti in front because I was gaining at sector 1. Finding an opportunity, I managed to get better traction on the exit of turn 9 heading into the first DRS zone. Clicking the DRS button, my rear wing flap flung open as I gained extra straight line speed compared to Fredrik Vesti. Fredrik Vesti moved to the middle of the track to break the tow, but I faked to the right and darted to the left to sell him the dummy. Thinking I sold Fredrik Vesti the dummy after he moved right, he moved left once again as we entered the braking point. I had to back out of that overtaking manoeuvre, if I had kept my nose in, we could have crashed. I need to think about the championship even though things aren't looking good for me.

Ethan: That was dangerous, Vesti moved twice under braking.

Jose Perez: Copy we are reporting to stewards. Keep calm, Hauger battling with Leclerc for 4th.

Entering the final few laps, I found another opportunity as I exited the final corner slingshotting me onto the straight. Once again with the help of DRS, I was able to close up on Fredrik Vesti and this time I was a bit smarter. I tried to sell him the dummy again which worked. Faking the right, Fredrik Vesti covered to the right then I darted to the left again with Fredrik Vesti covering the left following my move. Once I saw Fredrik Vesti committed to the left, I yanked my steering wheel to the right and went right around the outside of Fredrik Vesti to take the lead and used my slight tyre advantage to pull away.

Alex Brundle: What a move from Ethan Chou, he fakes to the right then moves to the left before selling Vesti the double dummy and takes the lead around the outside.

The final few laps was tough, but I managed to hold off Fredrik Vesti who was trying to attack me once again. Rounding off the final corner, I crossed the finish line first. I had done everything I can to win the championship and it's now down to Dennis Hauger's finishing position. I waited as my engineer and team gave me updates of when cars crossed the line.

Ethan: Did we win?

Alex Brundle: Ethan Chou crosses the line to win Race 3 here in USA, is this enough for him to win the title? We need to see. Vesti comes home in second and Caldwell 3rd. But behind them comes the Prema pair of Hauger and Leclerc. These 2 have been battling for the whole race, but Hauger manages to get better traction than Leclerc and just right on the line, Hauger takes 4th and crucially wins the Formula 3 world championship. Congratulations to the young Norwegian driver.

Jose Perez: I need to check, standby. Vesti 2nd, Caldwell 3rd, Leclerc and Hauger are round the final corner. Hauger 4th and Leclerc 5th. Unfortunately we didn't win Ethan.

Ethan: ARGHHHHHHHHH. NOOOOOOO. Sorry guys. 

I was in no mood to celebrate my win what so ever. I had lost the championship, not by points. Me and Hauger were level on points, but with me having 4 wins to my name and Hauger having 5, he beat me on the championship. This was not the way I want to end my championship and in my mind it was a load of bull crap. I was so pissed off that after collecting the trophy, I walked off and went back to my driver room where I saw my dad. Oh god, here we go again, he will teach me a lesson again. I was in no mood to talk to him but I need to apologise to him, after all he was the one who got me into Formula 3.

Ethan: Sorry dad, I let you down.

Y/N: No, don't apologise to me. Apologise to yourself. You let yourself down by thinking that the race ends in turn 1. How many times do I have to tell you that the race doesn't end until the chequered flag is waved. You don't win a race by charging into the first corner and taking out a competitor. You have yourself to blame for losing the championship. 

Ethan: You know what, I think you should take some blame too. All the time you have been so harsh on me and was even more disappointed than me when I don't pick up a win. Do you know how much pressure that puts on me?

Y/N: It's called trying to make you successful.

Ethan: I think you just want to be that dad who has a kid that is a race winner. 

Y/N: What's wrong with that?

Ethan: You alway made me race no matter what, after all of my crashes you never ask me if I'm fine or not and just scold me while mom actually cares, I'm moving out as soon as I get back. I'm living with mom and I don't care if that will ruin my career.

There it is, I have exploded. All the pressure my dad has put on me has finally led me to rage in front of him. After all these years of racing, he was always pressurising me and not caring if I'm fine after crashes. I never had the chance to walk out of a crash and see him ask if I was hurt or not, every time when I crashed he would just tell me what I did was wrong and start scolding me. It was too much to take, I need to take a break with him. I seriously can't stand him right now.

Well, more tension in this story. Ethan is now moving back to Sana, is Y/N going to lose his whole family? Continue reading to find out.

Also this chapter continues from chapter 24, so if you haven't read chapter 24 do go read that first or else it will be a bit confusing. I was supposed to finish this chapter by last night but I got busy with watching Arsenal vs Man City so sorry about that.

Thank you very much for reading this book and please continue to read this book. Vote for this chapter and share this book amongst your friends. I will try my best to update this book more often as I prepare for school.