Chapter 3

Without Zack and I bantering, or talking at all for that matter, dinner is unusually quiet. Raj digs into his pasta, glancing up at us every other bite. I keep my eyes trained on my plate.

"Thanks for making dinner today, Zack," Raj says in an obvious attempt to fill the silence.

It's penne with marinara sauce, which is what Zack makes every time it's his turn to cook. He knows how to cook other stuff but he refuses to do anything past the bare minimum because he's a douche.

Still, because I'm being polite, I say, "Yeah, it tastes delicious."

Zack pauses mid-chew, not making eye-contact. "Thanks. Pass the water." He blinks then adds a gruff, "Please."

"Absolutely," I say, grabbing the pitcher and placing it in front of him. "Make sure not to choke."

"Only because you asked," he says, his voice borderline sarcastic. He catches himself. "I mean, thanks for your concern."

Beside me, Mia shivers. "What is wrong with you guys? You're creeping me out."

"What do you mean?" I ask innocently. "Zack and I are simply having a nice conversation because we're so... friendly."

"Extremely friendly," Zack adds.

"Tremendously friendly," I say.

"Extraordinarily friendly," he mutters.

"Exceedingly-"

"Okay!" Dominique cuts in. "Okay, we get it. You're friends."

"Best friends," Zack says, hiding his smile as he sips his water.

"Best friends?" I repeat. "Wow. I'm honored. I'm marking this day in my calendar as the anniversary of our best friendship."

"I'll have your bracelet braided and sent to you by tomorrow," he says.

I blanch. "Lovely."

"Okay, you know what?" Raj speaks up. "Just don't talk to each other. Mia, distract Amelia, would you?"

Mia stops talking to Dominique to turn to me.

"Right," she says. "How's your... How's Will?"

Is the only thing people have to talk to me about the guys I'm talking to?

"About the same as when we talked in the morning," I answer just to humor her.

"Will?" Zack interrupts. "I assume that's short for William? Or maybe Wilburt? Sounds like a standup guy."

Mia shrugs at Raj. "I tried," she says, going back to Dominique.

"William," I answer. "But only his family calls him that."

"Interesting," Zack says, nodding seriously. "Tell me more. Like does he have any cats?"

My smile doesn't falter. "You're too kind for asking. He does not have any cats but he has one dog. A golden retriever."

"Great response, Amelia," Zack says. "I appreciate how we can discuss these things like the mature adults we are."

"You guys sound like a discussion board," Dominique mutters. Raj puts his head in his hands.

"I totally agree," I say to Zack. "And I will be sure to wear the purple top tomorrow as per your request."

"Great. I can die happy now," Zack replies, gritting his teeth.

I smile cheerily. "Glad to do my part. Let me know if I can assist you in any other way."

"You've done more than enough." He stands abruptly, snatching my mostly full dinner plate. "In fact, let me take your plate-"

"Oh, no. Let me take yours-"

"I insist-"

"I insist-"

We're both leaning across the table, inches apart, as we attempt to grab the other's plate when I realize everything is quiet. Sitting back down, I dust off my top.

"Thank you," I say, handing him my plate.

"You're welcome," he mutters, stacking it on top of his and leaving me to go to the kitchen.

I sit alone. In the midst of our conversation, I hadn't realized that everyone else at the table had left.

a/n: thank u for reading <3