Chapter 20

I wake up with a scowl on my face and a curse word on my lips. Zack continues to shake me awake as I bury my face deeper into my light to avoid the light.

"Get up, Princess. We're gonna be late for your high school reunion," Zack says gruffly. He pauses. "On second thought, keep sleeping. I'll tell them that you very unfortunately slept in and that's why we couldn't make it."

I'm already awake, though, and now that the sunlight has pierced my eyeballs, it's impossible for me to fall back asleep. With a great sigh, I shove the covers aside and stretch out my arms. It's at this precise moment that I remember.

Last night.

Fuck.

I can already feel my face heating so I bolt up and storm to the bathroom, avoiding eye contact at all costs. As I brush my teeth, I run over what I said.

I'm such an idiot. Who tells their ex stuff like that when they're trying to move on?

But also... I can't bring myself to regret it. Because nothing I said was a lie. However Zack responds to it... I'll just have to accept it.

Besides, there are other distractions right now like lunch with my ex's ex-best-friend and his ex that I am definitely going to be late to. I glance at the mirror. Well, if I forget the makeup, we can probably make it in time.

Zack and I arrive at the restaurant entrance at exactly 1:00- no thanks to him, of course. Jaden and Lola are early, pouring over one menu together. Zack starts to step forward when I touch his arm.

"What?" he asks.

"I'll bet you twenty bucks they get back together before we leave."

He raises a brow and glances over at me. "Why? Because they're sharing a menu?" He snorts. "Amelia, you are terrible at reading people's feelings."

My arm goes out to smack him immediately. "Am not," I say. "But since you're so confident, why don't you take the bet?"

He stares down at me with a ghost of a smile. "Fine," he agrees. "It's my turn to win one of these things anyway."

I hold out my hand and try to ignore the way my heart stutters as he shakes it. We walk together, greeting each other like adults do, making small talk like adults do. It hits me that the last- and only- time all four of us talked was when we went to McDonald's in high school.

Oh, how things change.

Lola rises to sue the bathroom and Jaden follows, insisting he'll keep watch outside of the bathroom for her. The second they're gone, Zack leans over.

"So you never told me," he says.

I lift my water glass to my lips. "What?"

"Whether or not you had a thing for Jaden when we met."

Water gets caught in my throat and I start coughing. He hands me a napkin and watches as I dab my mouth.

I can't help it. The way his eyes look at me so expectantly... I have to mess with him a little.

"I actually had a really big crush on him," I say. "I drew hearts around his yearbook photos and attached his last name to my first."

I start to laugh but when I look over, he isn't matching my smile.

My voice softens. "Zack," I say. "I never liked Jaden as more than a friend. Besides, the moment I met you, you were so irritating, I couldn't think of anyone else. Then that continued for three years."

This seems to satisfy him and leans back. "Of course not," he says. "Who cares about the past anyway? I'm the one who has you now."

Has.

I don't have time to mull over whether it was a slip of the tongue or not because Jaden and Lola return, busy laughing about some inside joke.

After dinner, Zack and I decide to just walk around since it's our last day in the city. The air is deliciously crisp. I stuff my hands into my pockets for warmth.

"That wasn't so bad, was it?" I say, keeping my voice steady as he reaches forward to adjust my hoodie strings.

He shrugs. "I guess not. Except for the constant reminder that we were having dinner with my supposed friend who tried to steal you from me."

"Well, I can't help being so desirable," I say, flipping my hair dramatically.

He looks as if he's about to respond when I spot something. My hand goes to his wrist, pulling him to crouch down behind a car with me.

"What the-"

"Shh!" I say, pointing forward. "Look!"

He follows my gaze to where Jaden and Lola are kissing on the side of the street. My lips start to stretch into a catlike smile.

HAH. I told him. I always win our best. I turn to make a snarky remark but it fails as I realize he's already looking at me.

He's so close.

Then he takes one step back and it's like there's miles between us.

"We should go," he says. "I'm ready to go back."

His message is loud and clear. It feels like a punch to the gut. I'm busy trying to lift my fallen heart when he slips his hand into mine.

"It's cold," is all he says. "You can't let go until we're inside."

My lips spread into a smile as our hands lace together. I shake my head slightly as our eyes meet. I hope he knows how much I mean it when I say, "I'm not."