Chapter 29

He's late.

I glance at the clock again, confirming that Zack is ten minutes late to meet me so we can walk over to his physical therapy session. All of my texts have gone unanswered so I make my way over to his room and knock on the door.

Nothing.

I knock again then listen in, trying to hear any semblance of a sound but I'm met with silence.

"Zack?" I say. No answer. "I'm coming in."

I open the door and though I wasn't expecting him to be inside, it's also odd since he hasn't left his room- much less, the apartment- in over a week.

I decide to head to the weight room at school. The second that I step in, I can sense that he's there. I walk past the door and stop in my tracks.

He sits on an empty bench with his elbows on his knees and his head in his hands. I pause where I am, watching him breathe.

He continues to stare down at the floor. I watch his chest rise and fall. Abruptly, he shoots up, lacing his hands into his hair in distress. He paces around for a minute then collapses back onto the seat. There's a moment of silence and then I realize he's crying.

Ever since he got back from the hospital, it's been silence and dead looks. I've barely gotten two words out of him. Definitely no semblance of emotion.

It feels almost intrusive as I watch his shoulders shake and listen to the sobs escaping from his lips despite how much he wants to keep them in. I stay stuck to the floor, barely even breathing.

Then he lifts his head and turns to look at me. His hair hangs in his eyes, unkempt and long enough to shield the tops of his expression. He stares at me.

I rush over, wrapping my arms around him, letting him collapse into me. My hand goes to his back, rubbing circles as he breaks.

"It's not fair," he says, shaking his head. "They can't do this to me."

"It's not fair," I agree, hugging him tighter, "but you can overcome it." I pull back just enough to look him in the eyes. "Fight."

"I fought Marcus," he says with a scoff. "Look where that got me."

"Don't fight to knock other people down but because you deserve joy and to not be trapped by other people's decisions. This is your life, not Marcus's. No one gets to take away what you love from you." My hand goes over his. "It doesn't have to be today. I'll be there whenever you're ready. But you have to be the one who does it."

He blinks slowly and talks equally as slow, each word measured. "What am I without football?"

My brows crease together as I realize what football has meant to him. It's defined him.

The edge of my lip rises. "You're Zack Darrington," I say. "You taught me what it feels like to be loved and how to follow my dreams. You are so much more than just football and I would love you with or without it."

He offers me a dreary smile. I rise and offer him my hand. "We'll get through this together," I promise.

He stares at my hand then slips his own in it. We stay like that for a while, letting content smiles take over our faces.

"You think they'll be pissed I missed my meeting?" he asks, standing up with a grimace.

I slip my arm around his waist as he places his around my shoulders. "No," I say. "Even if they are, we always have tomorrow."