Chapter 21

When I step into work, the first thing that catches my eye is a bouquet of white roses set on my table. My brows crease in confusion as Chris walks over with a hint of a smile.

"Chris," I start. "Thanks for the musical tickets-"

"Oh, you think those were good?" he says, sipping from his #1 Dad mug. "Wait til you see what I snagged you."

He beckons me forward so I set down the flowers and follow him into our copy room. I peer over as he walks to the machine but he stops me before I can follow.

"Wait there," he says. "Close your eyes."

I cross my arms and close my eyes, trying to decipher the following rustling noises.

"Alright, open," Chris says.

When I open my eyes, he's looking at me with a megawatt smile and holding out a stack of paper.

Is this my new assignment? What kind of sick joke...

"Oh my god," I exclaim, bursting forward to grab the papers from his hand. My eyes run over the words once. Then again.

"These..." I say. "These are my short stories that I gave you to review. They're printed. How... " I look up at Chris in awe.

"You've got talent, kid," he says, draining his coffee mug. "That'll be going out in our newsletter next week and hung up in our wall of fame."

"You're joking," I say. "You really liked it?"

He raises an eyebrow. "Don't sound so surprised."

"Thank you, Chris," I say. "Seriously, this means the world to me."

"You know this doesn't mean it's going to be published in bookstores or anything-" he starts carefully.

"I know," I say. "But this is still amazing."

He grins. "The handsome young man who dropped off those flowers for you must have known somehow."

My face starts to burn. "Thanks again," I say.

During my break, I call Zack in the midst of shoving a heaping spoonful of rice in my mouth.

He picks up on the first ring. "Hello?"

"Erffergusrkamess."

There's a pause. "What?"

I swallow. "I said I submitted some of my work to my boss and he's putting them in our newsletter and hanging it up in our employee wall of fame AND he said I have talent."

He stands up so aggressively, I can hear it over the phone. "What?!"

"I know right! They're hanging it now."

"Holy shi- wait there, I'm coming."

"I have, like, ten minutes left of my break. You better hurry," I say, my lips lifting at the sound of his engine roaring in the background.

Five minutes later, Zack is running into the workplace, panting heavily. I smirk at the sight.

"The one time you're early..." I mumble. "Come here."

I lead him down the hallway to the end where the pages of my short story are framed.

"That's yours?" he says, stepping forward and staring at my name on it. He pulls out his phone. "Stand there," he says. "I'm documenting this."

"Zack..." I start. He glances over at me and that's all it takes for me to run in front of the frame and pose. I'm in the middle of throwing up my 40th peace sign when Chris appears, signalling I've gone well over my break.

"I have to go," I say. "Thank you for coming." My arms wrap around him. "And thank you for the flowers."

His body goes rigid below my touch. "Flowers?"

It's deja vu. The same as in high school. The drop of my heart. My eyes go to Zack's and I can tell we're thinking the same thing.

Marcus.

My vision starts to go hazy as every memory- every fear I've pushed aside hits me in the face. My breaths get shallower, more desperate. Zack holds my shoulders, trying to look at me.

Abruptly, I turn to Chris. "The guy who dropped off my flowers," I demand. "What did he look like?"

Chris tilts his head, contemplating. "Blond hair. Wearing a baseball cap or something." He looks at me. "Is everything alright?"

"I don't know anyone with that description," I say.

Chris thinks this over for a second then snaps his fingers. "You know what, we have another Amelia in our advertising team. Maybe it got mixed up." He gives me a reassuring smile. "I wouldn't worry too much about it."

I offer a weak one in return. "Right," I say. Even to myself, my voice sounds off.

"Wait- so just anyone can walk into this building and drop stuff off?" Zack asks, not trying very hard to hide his annoyance.

Chris raises an eyebrow at him. "Such as yourself?" He sighs. "Amelia, why don't you let your friend know visiting time is up."

"I'm not leaving," Zack says. "Shouldn't you at least check the security footage and make sure random dudes aren't leaving flowers on girls' desks-"

"Zack," I interrupt, pulling him aside. "You have to go."

"No," he says. "Not when there's chance you're unsafe here-"

"I'm always unsafe here," I let out. "I'm unsafe walking down the street by myself or taking a cab at night or getting drunk at a party. Even with people I trust..." His eyes flicker down. "I'm never going to be you. It sucks and I'm scared but this is my workplace. What do you think people are gonna say if I make a scene right now? You think they're gonna be sympathetic of the teenage girl scared of getting flowers? They're gonna call me crazy and emotional and I-" I take a breath. "I can't lose this."

His eyes start to calm but his jaw is still set. "What if it was him?"

"My boss said it wasn't," I say. "How would he know where I work anyway?"

He stares at me, clearly not wanting to leave. "I'll pick you up," he says. "What time do you get off?"

"Five," I say, truthfully relieved that he'll be here to pick me up. "I'll see you then, okay?"

He stays planted for a while before finally nodding.

"Thank you for coming," I say. "I'll see you at five."

He hesitates then nods, walking away as I watch. As soon as he's gone, Chris says, "So that's your boyfriend?" When I hesitate, he adds, "I was worried the guy who dropped off your flowers might've been your second."

I shake my head. "No," I say. "No, he's the only one for me."

A/N: Happy Holidays!! ❤️❤️