Chapter 13

Mia nearly topples me over the side of the bleachers with her butt as we struggle to find seats for tonight's football game. I'll never truly get over the awe of a full stadium buzzing with excitement, blue and yellow everywhere. My heart can't help but race.

The players run out and it's practically instinct when my eyes glaze over the field in search of Zack. My friends begin to cheer beside me as I clap absentmindedly. Even from this far, I can recognize the sturdy confidence of his stride.

A wave of deja vu smacks me across the face. Me standing in the bleachers. Him pointing at me and shooting me a wink. Like we were the only two people in this entire stadium.

Except now, as I stare at him, he's focused on the field. Just a couple of seats away is a group of girls cheering his name. I recognize one from his consulting club.

My focus is snatched away when Zack starts dashing towards the end zone. The crowd rises to their feet in anticipation.

Touchdown.

The team is on fire. Every pass is made. The band is playing a new tune every minute. People are cheering everywhere.

And Zack.

He runs across the field like he owns it. Touchdown after touchdown. Pass after pass. He's unstoppable.

There's barely a minute left in the last quarter when it's confirmed that Zack Darrington has broken three school records in one game.

Everyone around me is cheering at the top of their lungs until the final touchdown is made. They're dancing and kissing and cheering.

But not me. Because as I stare out at the field, watching him rip off his helmet and jump into the arms of his teammates, smiling as bright as a shooting star, my heart feels like it's going to explode with emotions I can't describe. I can barely feel a single tear drip down my cheek as my lips pull into a smile.

I keep my space as we exit the bleachers, wiping at my face in private. At the bottom, I split from my friends, trying to find a corner to hide in or a hole to crawl in.

"A princess in hiding," I hear. "I was looking for you."

I turn around just as Zack tosses his hair out of his eyes. Joy radiates off him and I force myself to get it together.

"The one and only Zack Darrington," I greet, trying to ignore how raspy my voice sounds. "That was pretty amazing today. I'm officially a fan."

His teeth gleam in the light as he grins. There's a moment of rest as he looks over me. His face softens.

"Why are you crying?" he asks gently.

My lips part to form an explanation but I can't form one that makes sense.

"Hormones," I answer lamely.

He simply blinks. He doesn't say anything but it feels as if he understands even if I don't. I don't protest as he steps forward, pulling me into his chest without a word.

"I'm just really, really happy for you," I whisper.

He holds me tighter but I don't let go. It feels too right.

He pulls back but only far enough to take my face in his hands. His thumb runs over the top of my cheekbone.

"Amelia, I-"

"Zack, are you coming?!"

We both look over at where a group of people are waving him over. I step out of his grasp as the girl who called him obviously scrutinizes me.

"Amelia!" I hear. From a couple feet away, Drew waves at me.

I wave then turn back to Zack, whose face has been wiped of whatever emotion was there ten seconds ago.

We missed it.

"Go. You deserve it," I say with a smile. "Don't get too wasted, though."

He presses his lips together, waits, then nods. "Good night, Amelia."

"Good night, Zack."

Our eyes match for a second before we turn and go our separate ways.