Chapter 8

Over the next week, Will doesn't text me, not that I expected him to. Even if he did, by the way he blew up so quickly, he doesn't seem like the type of guy I want to be around.

On one hand, he isn't exactly wrong. I don't know why I thought dating would be smooth while living with Zack. It's not like I need to be dating to survive but it's nice to have the option.

It's nearly midnight and after an awkward day of work with Will, I need some comfort.

First I live with my ex. Then I date my co-worker. When will I start making sane decisions?

Shaking my head at myself, I heat up a pot of water on the stove and pull out my favorite spicy seafood ramen. I like my noodles slightly undercooked and using the pot lid as a bowl of sorts to make it taste better. My mouth waters as I take a seat at the table.

I'm just about to take the perfect bite when I hear, "You made ramen? Hold up, let me have a bite."

Tightening my grip on my chopsticks, I bring the pot closer to myself as Zack grabs chopsticks of his own and pulls out the seat next to me.

"No, stay away," I say, pushing him away.

"Come on, Amelia."

I hit his chopsticks away with my own. "Do your arms not work? Make your own."

He reaches out and brushes a piece of my hair behind my ear. His hand lingers against my skin as he says, "Please?"

I blink. Then I reach out and shove his forehead with two fingers. "Shoo."

"I'll make it next time," he offers. "Come on, before it gets cold."

"Ugh, I hate you," I say, pushing the pot to the middle.

He starts to devour the noodles. I'm the one who taught him how to use chopsticks but somehow he uses them like a pro.

"Is there kimchi?" he asks, taking an absurdly sized bite.

"Am I your mother?" I snap.

I'm the one who introduced him to kimchi too. Now look at him.

He rolls his eyes. "I hope not," he says, getting up and opening the fridge. "Damn, we don't." He grimaces, closing the fridge and getting water instead. After he sits back down, he places a cup in front of me.

"Drink. It's salty."

"Thanks," I mumble, reaching for the cup.

He watches me, not eating anymore. "So I'm assuming I fucked up your date?"

I pause mid-chew. "It wasn't your fault."

"You were out of his league anyway," Zack says. "Fuck him."

The corner of my lip lifts in an attempt at a smile. It quickly fails.

"Sorry," he says quietly. "You must've liked him."

I shrug. The only sound is my chopsticks against the pot but my mind is filled with thoughts.

I pause to look at him. "Is it weird that we're talking about this?"

His eyes match mine. "Do you feel weird?"

"A little," I admit, shaking my head. "He was right. How could I expect any guy to be okay with me living with my ex?"

"He just has to trust that you're really over me."

I stir the noodles in the pot. "Yeah," I whisper. There's a long pause. "Does it... Is it not weird to see me with other guys?"

My eyes stay stuck to the pot as I wait for his response.

"How I feel shouldn't matter," he says quietly.

I continue looking down. "Well, I'm asking."

Out of the corner of my eye, I can make out Zack staring at me. It feels like he's waiting for me to look back but I can't. His gaze flickers down. "No, it doesn't bother me."

My body pauses. I bite on my lip, putting down my chopsticks. My heart feels heavier than it should.

"Yeah, I thought so," I say, starting to get up. "You can have the rest. I'm feeling a little tired."

"Amelia, wait," he stops me. His hand grips my wrist.

"What?" I ask, turning around.

He hesitates. Then he looks away. "You should take your water."

I press my lips together. "I don't need it."

Whether he lets go or I escape first, I'm not sure. I go straight to my room and close the door behind me.