Chapter 5

I contemplate the kiss as I go up to my apartment. It felt nice, especially considering that half of the guys who have kissed me have been guys I didn't even want to kiss me. It was sweet.

I could use some sweetness right now.

Kicking off my shoes, I organize them along with the other pairs by the door so everything is neat. The lights are off so I assume everyone's out.

"You're back early."

I nearly stumble over myself, whipping my head around to find the voice. Zack raises a brow at me from where he lays on the couch, his phone shining in the darkness. His shirt lifts slightly, revealing the outline of the bottom of his abs.

"Why are you sitting in the dark?" I ask, flicking on the switch.

He sits up. "If you came in with a guy, I was gonna escape before you saw me."

I blink. "You're so weird," I say, shaking my head as I start towards my room.

"Wait," he says. "I want to talk to you."

I stop walking but don't turn around. "I'm not gonna argue with you, Zack."

"I just wanna talk," he says. "Look, I even set out snacks."

My eyes flicker to a bag of sour gummy worms on the table. A symbol of reconciliation, An olive branch perhaps.

I take a seat on the couch. "What do you wanna talk about?" I ask but he's busy staring at the bookstore bag in my hands.

"You went to a bookstore?" he says quietly. I search for mockery in his tone but find none.

He snaps out of his stare, shaking his head. "Nevermind," he mutters, readjusting himself so he's sitting farther away from me. "Look, I don't wanna do this whole trying to be nice to each other thing. It's obviously not working."

"Obviously," I agree.

"But I don't wanna fight either," he says.

"I've only fought with you when you picked a fight," I say.

"I know," he says. "I just thought maybe if we didn't get along, things would be easier."

I look down, quiet. "Nothing's gonna make this easier besides time," I say.

"I know."

My head lifts to look at him. "To be fair, I haven't exactly been acting mature either."

He shrugs. "I don't think I wanted you to be."

"I think we're overthinking it," I say. "Let's not force ourselves to be mean or nice to each other. Just be how we were before... But platonic. It might be awkward at times but that's okay."

He scratches the back of his neck. "Right."

"I mean, the past is in the past," I say. "To you, I'm no different than Mia now."

He lifts a brow but doesn't say anything.

"Friends, right?" I say.

"Right." He lets out a laugh. "I'll try not to flirt with you."

"Go ahead," I say. "Your flirting is far from effective anyway."

"It worked on you."

"I'm ignoring that," I say as he laughs. "Don't plan how you act around me, okay? Just be you. That'll be enough to turn me off."

He smirks the same smirk that comes out whenever he's faced with a challenge. "Fine. Then, as your friend, let me buy you dinner tomorrow. For winning the writing competition you talked about yesterday."

"You heard that?" I ask.

"Yeah," he says. "I'm proud of you, Amelia."

I smile. "Thanks," I say softly. Our eyes meet and he grins a little.

"So you're free?" he asks, standing up abruptly.

"Yeah," I say. "If you think you can handle it."

He stares at me like a challenge but it quickly fades away. "See you at six."

"Wear something pretty," I respond.

He glances at my book bag one final time before going into his room.