Chapter 18

I will admit there are some perks to traveling with Zack.

First of all, when I walk through the city, creepy men on the street don't even look at me while when I walk alone, they like to call at me like I'm some kind of cat. Once, some dude offered me a sandwich then called me a bitch when I said no.

Then the air bnb owner practically falls over him, offering all types of added free shit that I am pretty sure would not be included if I wasn't with Zack Darrington, the star football player.

I mean, free snacks and sodas. I'm not complaining.

Zack tosses his bag aside and immediately sinks into the couch while I head to my room and survey the place. It was a last minute thing and I'm surprised we could find an affordable place with two bedrooms...

"Zack?" I say as I open and reopen a random shoe closet.

"Yes, dear?" he drawls.

Normally, I would shoot him a glare for that but I'm too preoccupied looking around the room. "Where's the second bedroom? I only see one."

"You can't find a bedroom?" he says. "It's not like it's exactly hard to see."

"Well, I looked and there's only one," I say, walking over to him. I grab a couch cushion and smack him. "Did you even check before booking this place?"

He sighs dramatically, making a big show of getting off the couch. "Of course I checked," he says. He makes his way through the place, opening each door. Finally, he ends up at the shoe closet. "See, there's another room right..." His voice fades as the door swings open, revealing a closet big enough to fit a toddler.

I raise my eyebrow at him, crossing my arms. If he's affected, it doesn't show.

"Well, have fun sleeping on the couch," he says.

He makes a beeline for the bedroom, speeding up as I trail behind.

"What?" I say. "No, you got us into this mess. You sleep on the couch."

He at least has the decency to toss his shoes off before hopping onto the bed. His legs are so long, they take the entire space. "You could've checked."

"Oh, yes. God forbid I trust you to have common sense."

"Damn shame," he mutters, hugging the pillow to his chest.

"Zack, get up," I say.

"You know, I would," he says, "but it's just so warm and cozy."

"Zack-"

"Say please."

My eyes narrow. "I will castrate you."

His grin stretches. "I'd like to see you try."

I cross my arms, glaring down at where he's laying down with a grin. Quickly, I lurch forward. He grabs my wrist easily and pins me down onto the bed with a laugh.

My breath cuts off as the muscles in his arm flex. I look away only to end up staring up at him.

"Well, look at that," he says. "You-"

His smug expression fades as I reach out and grab his shirt collar, pulling him into me. The material bunches in my hand but he doesn't say anything. His eyes trail down my face.

I jolt up so suddenly, Zack falls to the ground with a crash. Something like an apology escapes my mouth as I escape before he can catch how red my face is.

---

I told Zack we were leaving at 5:20. It's 5:18 and he's still in the room changing. He's always late, I swear.

5:19 hits and I'm in front of the door ready to knock when the door swivels open.

My mind goes completely blank as he steps out in a pressed black dress shirt and pants emphasizing each curve and angle of his body. His hair is styled back with a single strand hanging in his eyes and his earring glints in the light.

Holy fuck.

If he notices my staring, he doesn't mention it. All he says is, "You look nice. Ready?"

I bring my hand down, realizing it's been frozen in the knocking position for a solid couple of minutes.

"Yes," I say, my voice oddly formal. "Let's go, shall we?"

He smirks slightly. "Shall we?" he mocks, motioning for me to walk ahead.

Despite all of the years we've known each other, I can't help but feel nervous for some reason as we make our way over. It doesn't help that I catch myself staring at him a couple of times.

Him and that damn pretty face.

I have to make a conscious effort to make sure I'm looking straight ahead. Once we sit down and the lights go out, I feel my heart rate start to relax.

The musical ends up being really entertaining. I look over a couple of times to see Zack laughing.

When it's over, I'm super tired. Still when Zack offers, "Ice cream?" I can't resist.

There's a creamery walking distance from the theatre where people are walking out with satisfying swirls of ice cream. I open the door a little too excitedly and nearly hit the girl walking out.

"I'm so sorry... " I say immediately but my voice trails off as the girl smiles and waves it off. We lock eyes and I can't help but feel like I've seen her somewhere.

It hits me as soon as Zack says it. "Lola?" he asks, standing behind me.

"Zack," she says surprisedly.

Something catches my attention as they make small talk. Under her fitted top, her stomach has just started to protrude. It's not enough for me to ask about but my suspicions are confirmed as a hand reaches out to cover her stomach and its owner asks, "Are you okay?"

Oh my god.

I tear my eyes away from her stomach to meet glittering eyes and clean cut hair.

With one hand on Lola's shoulder, Jaden Brown smiles at me.