Chapter Six.

"Five minutes and forty-seven seconds in counting!" Cho whispered as (Y/n) the two sat with one another. "The older students were calling it a Hatstall." She quieted down as the Headmaster stood up.

"Welcome!" he said. "Welcome to a new year at Hogwarts! Before we begin our banquet, I would like to say a few words. And here they are: Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak! Thank you!" He sat back down. Everyone clapped and cheered.

"What?" (Y/n) mumbled. Marietta and Cho wore similar expressions. As Dumbledore sat down, the plates filled with food

"So, (Y/n), what other house did the Sorting Hat consider placing you in?" Marietta asked curiously, serving herself mashed potatoes.

"Slytherin or Ravenclaw," (Y/n) sighed. Marietta and Cho exchanged a glance. "I was really arguing for Hufflepuff, though. I reckon it'd be an easier choice if I wasn't whining so much."

"The Hat's never wrong, they say," Marietta mumbled.

"Who? Who says that?"

"Why, the Hat itself, I suppose."

"Stubborn little thing, no?"

"Better Ravenclaw than Slytherin, hm?" Cho mused. "Though, you must equally fit Slytherin if the Hat took that long... I would still be friends with you if you were Sorted into Slytherin!" (Y/n) rose an eyebrow.

"Would I not have friends if I were a Slytherin?"

"Probably not... Your own House would hate you... Other Houses would hate you over being a Slytherin... Can't really win, even if you were the nicest Slytherin to ever exist."

When the feast was, at last, done with, Headmaster Dumbledore rose to his feet again. The hall fell silent.

"Ahem— just a few more words now that we are all fed and watered. I have a few start-of-term notices to give you.
First years should note that the forest on the ground is forbidden to all pupils. And a few of our older students would do well to remember that as well."
Dumbledore's twinkling eyes flashed over the sitting students. (Y/n) caught a grimace from various older students around the room.
"I have also been asked by Mr. Filch, the caretaker, to remind you all that no magic should be used between classes in the corridors.
Quidditch trials will be held in the second week of the term. Anyone interested in playing for their House teams should contact Madam Hooch.
And now, before we go to bed, let us sing the school song!" cried Dumbledore. He gave his wand a little flick, as if he was trying to get a fly off the end, and a long golden ribbon flew out of it, which rose high above the tables and twisted itself, snakelike, into words.
"Everyone pick their favourite tune, and off we go!"

And then the school bellowed:

"Hogwarts, Hogwarts Hogy Warty Hogwarts,
Teach us something please,
Whether we be old and bald
Or young with scabby knees,
Our heads could do with filling
With some interesting stuff,
For now, they're bare and full of air,
Dead flies and bits of fluff,
So teach us things worth knowing,
Bring back what we've forgot,
Just do your best, we'll do the rest,
And learn until our brains all rot."

"Did we just call ourselves stupid?" Cho asks, scratching herself.

The Ravenclaw first years followed their prefects and Head Girl. The Head Girl seemed rather gloomy, (Y/n) had noticed. The three lead the chattering Ravenclaws out of the Great Hall and up a marble staircase. They were lead through doorways, past hanging tapestries, and up even more staircases.

At last, they reached the Ravenclaw Tower. Two eagle statues stood on either side of the entryway. "To enter the common room, you have to answer a riddle," one of their prefects said. "And if you get the riddle wrong, you'll have to wait for someone to get it correct or to open the door from the inside." There was a murmur of understanding.