chapter twelve

Victoria stood by her window,  staring out of it as her mother called for her to get away from said window. She walked to where her and Victors parents were and heard them talk about how Victor was terrified of the dark so he would be back shortly.

There was a knock on the door and Lord Barkis entered the room, his chest raised and his nose high. Lady Everglot asked him if his accommodations were fine and he told her that they were. He then walked over to where they were, followed by the town news man.

Lord Barkis told the news man to repeat the nights headline for the Everglots and so he did. He rang his loud bell as he yelled the headline

"Hear ye, hear ye! Vivtor Van Dort seen this night on the bridge in the arms of a mystery man! The (light/dark) haired tempter and Master Van Dort slipped away into the night! And now the weather, scattered showers-" he was interrupted by Lord Barkis yelling "enough! That will be all"

"Mystery man? He doesn't even know any men, nor would he be tempted by one, he looks at women only, he always has" Mrs Van Dort spoke confused, knowing her son isn't interested in men of any kind

"Or so you thought. Do call for me if you need my assistance...in any way" lord Barkis walked out and closed the doors.

The Van Dorts started begging the Everglots to give them a chance to find Victor in time for the wedding. As they spoke, Victoria found herself wondering off, leaving the room unnoticed by anyone. She sighed as she made her way down the hallway.

Looking at the floor, hearing her heels clacking on the tiles, she realized as they'd changed a few steps ago. She looked up and found herself in the large kitchen. She hadn't been in there since she'd last seen him.

Both her parents hadn't known that the poor boy shed fallen in love with, was actually one of their cooks. They never bothered to look at the ones who cook for them so they didn't know hed worked for them all along. They knew him from seeing him speak to Victoria the steets one time but that was it.

Victoria looked around the empty room, noticing the stove was on with a pot that was almost boiling over. She ran towards it and turned the stove off quickly.

She stared at the pot for a moment before hearing a voice call out to her "Victoria?" She turned and saw him, her lost love. As soon as she saw him, she ran out of the room.