Chapter 3

Morgana eyes flew open, and the memories rushed in.

"Morgause..." She could still remember every detail of the time they spent together, Morgause casting enchantments, and Morgana watching her sister in admiration. Morgause had touched her cheek and told her she was the most important thing in the world. That all of this was for her. That she was what held everything together.

She had assumed Morgause was feeling rather poetic, but she had meant every word. She had made Morgana the center of the magic.

Her heart swelled with love and pain at the same time.

And then she remembered. His back turned to her as she sipped what she had assumed was water, his dark head bent over her as she struggled and gasped in pain, while he watched the poison course like fire through her body. She could remember the pain even now, but she was stronger than ever. The antidote must have been more powerful than the poison.

Hot white anger replaced the confusion, more fierce than the poison's fire. Merlin had poisoned her. For everything he had tried to help her forget. For being a bearer of magic. Merlin?

Right on cue, there was a knock on the door, and Gwen let Arthur and Merlin in. Morgana swallowed at the sight of Merlin. How could he be here, in her room, to see her as though she was merely suffering from a cold and he wished to gift her a basket of fruit, or as he preferred, flowers? She no longer knew whom to trust. She lay down quickly and closed her eyes, breathing a little heavier to convince them she was asleep.

"Oh," Gwen said. "She must have fallen asleep again. I had thought she would be awake by now. I'm sorry, Arthur."

Arthur nodded, then said, "Gwen? May I have a quick word with you?" Morgana couldn't hear Gwen's response, but assumed she nodded because there was the sound of shuffling of feet, and the door to her chamber closed.

A moment passed, and she heard soft, firm footsteps approach the bed. Not soft enough to belong to a rather small handmaiden, not loud enough to be that of a crown Prince's. Just enough to be Merlin's. He moved closer to her, and through lightly lidded eyes, she saw his hand move closer. To her face, as though he meant to stroke her cheek. She tried not to stiffen, and shifted slightly, naturally. He gulped, and withdrew his hand. He stared at her for a while, then joined Arthur at the door when he heard Gwen. Morgana tried not to exhale obviously.

She lay that way for as long as she could, till she felt like she could take it no more. She rose, and turned at the sound of a rap at her window. A crow. A message from her sister.

Though it pained her, she walked to the window, and untied the scroll tied to the bird's leg. She watched the bird fly, and thought of herself, locked in an entire world where she did not belong. She opened the scroll.

My dearest sister, Morgause had written.

I cannot begin to tell you how much I have suffered the past two nights, knowing you were so close, but so far away. I have yearned to bring you with me, but I am biding my time till we can meet again. I ask you to do the same. I am aware you have many questions, and I cannot answer all of them for you yet, but some I can.

You, my dear Morgana, are finally ready to join me and become a High Priestess for the Triple Goddesses. You had proved your strength when your body accepted for it to be a vessel of the magic that struck our foes. We need only wait for but a while longer, sister, till the Crown of Camelot finally graces the head it was meant for, till you assume what is rightfully yours. And I will be there with you, every step of the way, until and after you have fulfilled your destiny.

And more, my sister. Beware of the servant boy, Merlin. He is not to be trusted. He is but a boy, but it is in these assumptions that he takes refuge. Do not forget what he did to you. What he did to us. But do him no harm. I will deal with him.

It pains me to say this, sister, but I am afraid you must keep up this pretense for a while longer. Be Camelot's loving daughter till our time comes to pass. 

                                     ***

Hello, 

I am writing this as we go, but I do have an outline, so I try and update by every Sunday. Please, please, please feel free to give me feedback because that is entirely the reason why I'm publishing as I write. 

Finally, some sisterly action. What do you all think of Morgause? Trust her yet?

I know that although this chapter was from Morgana's perspective, you haven't really gotten to see her yet. But I assure you, it's coming. 

Until then,

Happy reading!

Monarch.