Chapter 20

"Merlin?"

"Hmm?"

"Teach me your magic." 

I know how this ends. This is what the prophecies have all led up to. It's so simple, all that it takes is a simple refusal. 

But Merlin knew now, as he stared back into her face, that this had never been so simple. It was never meant to be. Prophecies of a long time ago had all narrated the tragic tale of a wizard who taught a young sorceress his magic, and how it had cost him his freedom. It told them she could not be trusted. That she could not be loved. 

But here he was, looking into her eyes, both the color of the sea, and yet each eye was a different color. 

She had become two different people in her lifetime, but in the end there was only one person she really was. 

Merlin smiled. "Alright." 

*** 

Momentarily surprised by Merlin's willingness to teach her, Morgana agreed to stop for the night. Merlin collected firewood, and she watched as he reached for the flint and iron, then caught himself and whispered, "Forbearne". 

In the light of the fire that Merlin had created, the two stayed close enough but tackled separate tasks. Morgana fetched water and fed and watered and groomed the horses. Merlin set up wards and arranged the spread for them to eat. 

When they were finally done, Merlin sat down by the fire. Morgana walked over and scanned the area. Merlin watched her looking around and breathed a laugh. 

He held out a hand. "Just sit here." 

"I was only looking around to make sure everything was in order. I have no trouble sitting on the ground." Morgana scoffed, displeased. Merlin smirked, withdrawing his hand. He tried to contain a smile as Morgana scanned the ground and sat gingerly on the floor, careful not to get dirt on herself. 

"What will our first lesson be?" Morgana looked up at him. In the warm glow of the fire that lit up half her face, Merlin thought she looked especially innocent. He smiled. 

"Is there anything you would like to learn in particular?" 

Morgana hesitated, and Merlin quirked an eyebrow. It appeared that she already knew what she wanted to learn. A small panic started at the back of his throat, but Merlin suppressed it. The last time he had acted on impulse, believing everyone but Morgana herself, he had nearly killed her. He smiled encouragingly. 

"Healing." 

Merlin smiled wider. He reached his hand out, and she placed hers in it. 

"There are two ways to heal. The first is simple. Each person has healing energy within them. We reach out to it, and strengthen its power." He closed his eyes, and Morgana felt a momentary surge of power within her. 

"Will that not deplete it?" Morgana asked. Merlin couldn't help but smile at the childlike display of curiosity. He was supposed to be one of the most powerful sorcerers in the world, and yet there was very little knowledge he ever got to debate upon or teach. He was the student more often than not. Morgana had been under Morgause's tutelage so he had no doubt she had more knowledge than him in a wide array of magicks that he simply had an innate ability for. 

He tried to explain as kindly as possible, bearing in mind not to come across as as patronizing or condescending. "For that moment, yes. That is why they are advised to rest immediately, if possible. The healing power within each individual is strengthened by their lifeline. As long as the injury isn't fatal, and they rest, their own life, essentially, will replenish their healing capacity." 

Morgana thought this over. "So I suppose the second way to heal is only used if the injury is fatal." 

"Only when at the brink of death." 

"Why?"

"Because of what it costs." 

Morgana stayed silent, waiting for Merlin to explain. 

"To heal someone who is dying, one would need to tap into their own healing capacity. In a way, it is like convincing your magic that it is your own life that is fading away, so it cannot be used continuously. It is also dangerous for both the healer and the sick because there is a chance that the injured person's body may not even accept another healing force within them."

"Only a chance?"

"Everything is hearsay," Merlin shrugged. "This is only what I read in a few books." 

"What? Why?"

"Because the the method of healing another through your own life force has never been done before." 

***

After taking turns to rest, Merlin and Morgana saddled their bags again. 

After Merlin mounted, he called over to Morgana, "We only have to cross the foot of the mountains of Isgard, and we will be at the Forests of Balor. And from there... I have no idea what we are going to do." 

Morgana smiled soothingly. She herself had no idea. She and Merlin were on such a dangerous journey, at such an important time, and it might as well be for nothing. Mordred might not even meet them. He might even try to kill them before they reached. 

They were traveling on just a gut feeling she had that Mordred just might talk to her. 

Morgana was beyond terrified of admitting this to Merlin, of saying it out loud in fear that it might come true. But she guessed Merlin knew her fears. He constantly talked about the journey, but never the destination. He didn't ask her what they would do once they got there, possibly due to a combination of an undeserving trust he had in her and a fear that the trust might be undeserved. 

They traveled in comfortable silence for a long time. Occasionally Merlin would point out places he and Arthur had passed. She listened to their adventures quietly, and tried to not laugh at Merlin's long-winded, often pointless stories. 

When they reached the forests of Balor, Merlin and Morgana stopped. The entrance to the forest was too thick. All their belongings and horses would never make it through. Morgana nodded and Merlin sighed. 

Morgana left a ward over their horses while Merlin tied them to a tree. 

"We'll be back. Hopefully," he whispered dramatically to the horses. Morgana thought she saw Llamrei roll his eyes.

The two crossed the entrance, careful not to cut down the thick branches that got in their way. When they reached a clearing, Morgana sighed in relief. She had not gotten more than a step forward when Merlin yanked her back towards him and threw out an arm, golden light erupting as an entire veil of destructive magic came tumbling upon them. 

Morgana heard someone yell, and as soon as the light had cleared, she saw Mordred. His stance was defensive, but he seemed to be protecting them. She saw that he had not expected them, and he had not meant for them to fall into the trap. 

She and Merlin would have never known, if it weren't for Merlin's instincts. 

But Mordred would have. And he would have protected her. 

"Hello Mordred," she said sadly. 

*** 

Hope that was interesting!

Happy reading.

Monarch.