Chapter 12

Merlin barely had time to react before Morgause lunged at him with a dagger. Instinctively he tried to dodge it rather than use his magic, sensing Arthur's presence. He cursed himself however, when Arthur leaped in front of him and grabbed Morgause's wrist, spinning her around and holding her closely to his chest. She tried to resist but Arthur held her tightly, then looked at Merlin to check if he was alright, but then realization darkened his blue gaze.

Both of them had forgotten for that moment that Merlin was well capable of saving the two of them. 

"Morgause," Merlin raised his palms in a gesture that he hoped would say we don't want to harm you rather than please don't hurt us

But perhaps he needn't have. 

Morgause's face was disfigured, and although Arthur had held her in a tight grasp, he didn't think it should've been hurting her as much as it appeared to. "Arthur," Merlin whispered in horror, and Arthur let her go, placing one hand on the belt which held his scabbard and sword. 

Morgause seemed to be trying to control her labored breathing in an attempt to seem more dangerous than she felt. "The Foolish Prince and his Even More Foolish Servant," she remarked.

"Morgana told me," Merlin stepped forward gently, ignoring her taunt. "I know you are dying, Morgause, and-"

"Come to gloat, have you?" Morgause dropped her dagger, surprising Merlin. Her breathing was still labored and she appeared to be very tired. Arthur only seemed more suspicious, as his grip on the belt moved to the hilt of his sword. Merlin looked at Arthur, but before he could say anything, Morgause gasped and clutched her shoulder. 

Merlin's eyes immediately glowed gold and he whispered a small blessing of peace, and Morgause closed her eyes. Her face visibly relaxed, and a long moment later, she opened her eyes. "You," she said, "are Emrys."

"I am." Merlin's heart hammered proudly in his chest. It felt incredible to finally put away the act. He felt exposed, a though a protective covering had worn off, but there was a free breeze he had never felt before and he was all for it.

Morgause looked like she wanted to say a lot of things, but she stayed silent, and she looked at Merlin for a long time. Although they didn't look very alike, Morgause still reminded Merlin of Morgana, and he softened.

"I'm here now, Morgause. You can rest."

"I cannot. I will not. I have a duty to my sister. I am weaker than I have ever been now, but I am still a High Priestess of the Old Religion. The Triple Goddesses will strengthen me, at least for long enough to see my sister in a place that's rightfully hers."

"I have made.. too many mistakes in my life," Arthur said quietly, and Morgause looked at him in surprise. "Morgana will not be one of them. My father did not do right by her--our father did not do right by her--but I will. If it is the crown she desires, she will have it. But not now. Not when she is accompanied by bitterness and hatred. As long as I am alive and have a duty to my sister, I also have a duty to Camelot."

"Your sister?" Morgause scoffed. "You are making the same mistakes your father did before you, and for that I will curse him with the last of my breath. It is not that you care for, or even understand magic and the beauty and power that it is, Arthur Pendragon. You attempt to tame it for your own selfish gain-"

"Selfish? So you admit that Morgana is my own priority," Arthur pointed out and Merlin glared at him to silence him. And just when they were getting things under control.  

"Morgause," Merlin sought her attention. He walked up to her and placed a hand on her shoulder, and to his surprise, she didn't try to kill him. "You have suffered so much," he whispered. "I will look after Morgana with my life. I have heard the prophecies of the Old Religion. I am the Last Dragonlord and the creatures of the Old Religion speak to me. I have seen the Crystal Cave under the guidance of Taliesin himself." Merlin thought Morgause seemed rather surprised at that, so he plowed on, encouraged. "Arthur is the Once and Future King. He will unite Albion, and magic will be celebrated again. Morgana will walk free again, as will everyone who you fought for. You will not have died in vain, and that will be my life mission. I promise."