Chapter 7

Merlin swallowed. Mordred?

It wasn't that Camelot was having the time of their lives as it was, but.. Mordred? He looked at Arthur, willing him to remember the Druid boy they once saved together, but it was obvious Arthur was fighting an inner battle at the moment at the thought of Morgana. Arthur met his gaze, and held, his usually bright blue eyes now troubled. Merlin understood.

He was asking him for their next course of action.

Merlin exhaled. Mordred's name didn't ring any bells in Arthur's head. Not yet. So he'd have to guide them, and explain later. Merlin held Arthur's gaze, then closed his eyes. Arthur nodded in understanding.

"Why do the High Priestesses wage war against us?" Arthur asked, and his quiet, firm voice was the calm before the storm. Merlin felt the hair on the back of his neck rise.

Mordred scoffed. That rude punk. "Because of you, Arthur, son of Uther. Because of you and your father, and your great and many sins. Because magic is the most beautiful thing in the world; it is hope, and it is light. And you have sought to destroy it."

Merlin fought to keep his mouth closed. Arthur replied, "As a young prince, eager to prove myself, I have... done things I regret. Deeply. And as I grow wiser, I have tried to atone for them. But you speak of hope, and light. After you speak of war. War brings neither hope nor light. It ruins lives, of ordinary people and those with magic alike. There is only darkness and despair in what you wish to do." Merlin's heart hammered with a mix of fear and pride for the royally stupid boy in front of him.

Mordred stood up. Gwaine looked at Arthur, but he shook his head. "Those with magic will not despair. They are fighting a war for themselves, for their freedom," said Mordred, his tone rebellious.

"Freedom always comes with a cost," Arthur said sadly. "But you are a young man, bright, and brave. You need not do this. We can turn this around. I have nothing against magic. Morgana... I didn't know. I - I love her." Merlin felt his heart plummet. "She's a sister to me."

Merlin stared, cursing himself. Why did I just react that way?

"Then you are no better than the tyrant, Uther. He has shunned magic, but used it to his benefit. Morgana would not want your kindness if it was extended only to her. She will grace the throne of Camelot a lot better than you, Arthur Pendragon, and your father before you."

"I cannot," Arthur said firmly, and Lancelot looked at Merlin, his warm brown eyes sad. Merlin shook his head imperceptibly. Lancelot looked away and busied himself, but his face was still ashen. "I cannot endanger all of my people. For as long as I have lived, I have never been against magic, but those who use it, for they seldom use such power for the greater good."

Merlin fought to keep his face straight. He had always known that this is what Arthur thought, but somehow, hearing it from his mouth was a heavy blow. Lancelot would not even meet Merlin's eyes anymore. Despite not having magic, it was sorrowful for compassionate Lancelot to think Merlin would never be accepted for who he was, and Merlin's heart went out to him. 

"Very well." Mordred's eyes were thunderous. "Then we will be the first. For the greater good, we will take you down."

"So be it." Arthur tied his hands behind his back, then nodded at Gwaine, and looked at Mordred's hands, and Gwaine let go of his wrists. "But be assured, Sir Mordred. You will have to go through me before you can destroy the lives of my people."

Mordred looked surprised. You know of Arthur's ignorance, but you don't know his honor. "That I intend to do, Arthur Pendragon."

***