Stranger

Summer

After a delicious breakfast of grits, turkey bacon and croissants I was dressed and ready to go home. Despite everything that happened last night Joey made me feel so much better, I even told him what happened and he made me realize how stupid killing myself over Lance would've been. Even though I was still hurt it helped to talk about it.

"It was nice meeting you Summer, I hope that this breakfast date won't be our last time seeing each other."
We were standing at the front door and even though he saved my life, cleaned my vomit, saw me naked and fed me breakfast I was still nervous around him. This man was my inspiration for everything through them rough teenage/early adult years in my life. About a year ago he dropped off the radar and I never stopped waiting for him to come back. I wanted to ask why he stopped making music but we were so busy talking about my problems I didn't get a chance. I decided to be bold and put my number in his phone earlier when he went to use the bathroom and I also text my phone to make sure I had his. Thank God his phone wasn't locked!

"This definitely won't be the last time Joey."

"I like how you say my name Miss Summer" I blushed and put my head down. He gently grabs my chin and lifts my head. I look into his eyes and smile softly. He gives me a tight hug slightly picking me up.

"Good bye Jo-Vaughn."

"I'd rather Joey but goodbye Summer and it's not goodbye it's see you later" he gives me a kiss on the cheek and opens the door. I walk out and turn back to wave and he waves back while winking. I walk to the elevator and hear him close his door. Soon as I hear that soft thud I start jumping up and down in my heels, I stumble of course but it doesn't matter because I just met Joey Badass.

"Life is good" I say to myself and step onto the elevator. I decide to go back to Rose's apartment since I didn't want to pay for cab fare besides she had been calling me all morning. I get to her door and make a musical beat to let her know it's me. She snatches the door open but before I can say anything she thumps me on the forehead.

"Summer Karen Carter where the hell have you been? Why do you still have those clothes on? Why weren't you answering my calls? Why did you le-."
I cut her off and walk into the room and plop onto the sofa ignoring everything she's asking. Only thing on my mind is Joey.

"Summer I know you here me!" She's standing in front me with her hands on her hips and a frown on her face.

"Rose look just calm down. I was upstairs at a new friends condo I met last night. I stayed the night by him and he washed my clothes. I didn't answer because I was busy and I left because I needed time to think." I decide not to tell her about my almost suicide or Joey, I want it all to be my secret.

"Well do you want to talk about last night" she sits next to me and takes my hand into her lap.

"Actually no. Fuck him, fuck Gary. Let them be gay. I just better not have anything." I make a mental to note to set an appointment Monday morning.

"Are you sure? You know I'm here for you."

"Yes I'm sure. Now bring me home so I can shower and start my day."
She looks at me oddly, shrugs her shoulders then gets up to get her keys.
⬇️⬇️⬇️
After being dropped off i walk to my door praying Lance wasn't there but I must have used all my prayers up last night because there he was, laying on my sofa clutching a half empty bottle of Bombay in his hand as if he fell asleep getting drunk. I creep past him and go into the room we've shared together for 2 years. I look around to quickly plan my next move. I go to the closet and grab his suitcases, clothing trunk and boxes we kept just in case. I drag everything to the base of my bed and start throwing all his belonging in there not caring where it landed. It takes about 30 minutes of non stop throwing shit but I finally have all his clothes, shoes, fake jewelry and toiletries packed. I start moving everything to the living room where Lance is still asleep with the bottle, now snoring. When I place the last box near the door I knock over the coat rack and with a loud thud it hits the floor. Lance jerks awake looking around in bewilderment. I take a deep breath to keep myself calm for the impending argument. He finally notices me and gives me a sad smile. I stare back with, what I hope is, a blank stare.

"Baby come here" he pats the sofa next to him and takes a swig from the bottle. I continue to stare at him not moving a muscle barely blinking.

"Summer come here now" he says in a harsh whisper gritting his teeth. I stand stock still, arms folded trying to kill him with my eyes. He gets up and runs toward me. Since he's obviously drunk he moves quite slow and I silently slide to the side. I start walking back to my bedroom but he pulls me back by my hair.

"Get the fuck off me Lance" I scream struggling to loosen his tight grip on my hair.

"No you're going to fucking listen to me. What you saw should never leave your mouth and if it does I'll kill you."

"You'll kill me if I tell everyone you're a fag? Well kill me then bitch because everyone I know is going to know."

"Baby stop-"

"Don't call me baby meat mouth. Lil fa-" before I can finish calling him a fag he turns me around by my hair and slaps me. I instantly taste blood in my mouth.

"You heard what I said bitch you better not tell anyone. Now go unpack my shit and make me breakfast." He pushes me to the ground and I don't get up. He walks back to the sofa and I hear him plop down and the bottle hitting the wall. I get up and walk to my room.

Should I try to fight back?

Lance outweighs me by at least 120 pounds and is 6'3 while I'm 5'5. I know I can't win but this nigga hit me! I find my phone and think of someone to call in case something really bad happens to me. I decide to text Rose.

Me: I'm bout to kill this nigga. He hit me and threatened to kill me. If I don't make it, I love you.

Rose💃🌹: I'm omw have the door unlocked.

I put my phone down and search around the room for some kind of weapon. His Xbox1 catches my eye and I decide it's perfect. I snatch the console out the wall and quietly walk back into the living room. Lance is sitting on the sofa with his eyes closed snoring loudly. I go unlock the door. I walk in front him and punch him in the nose as hard as I can. Blood spews out and he puts his hands to his nose screaming like a girl.

"What the hell Summer" he gets up to charge towards me but I jump out the way and he falls to the floor where I once stood. As he's getting up I hit him on the side of his face with the console. His face hits the ground and he doesn't move again. The door opens with a loud thud hitting the wall.

"You wanna hit females huh lil fag" Rose says walking in twirling a machete between her fingers.

"Rose I'm good! I knocked his bitch ass out." I drops the console on his back and check his neck for a pulse. He's still breathing so I walk back to my room to grab my phone and call the police.
⬇️⬇️⬇️
The police come almost 20 minutes later. 10 minutes into waiting Lance wakes up to Rose standing above him with the machete threatening to slit his throat if he got off the floor. He stayed on the floor, of course, until the police came. As one of the white officers were questioning me about what happened and the other was arresting him he was screaming how he wanted to press charges and how I should be getting arrested for assaulting him. Everyone ignored him.

What did I ever see in him?