Burned

Summer:

Without another word from Rose I run up the stairs and throw on the closest pair of jeans and shoes I can find. I run back down the stairs breathing heavy but still running to the door.

"Summer wait I'm getting my car keys, come on Rose" a fully clothed Joey calls out to me but I ignore him and continue speed walking out the door to the elevator.

We get to the below ground garage and get into Joeys green and black Jeep. Before I can close the door fully Joey is pulling off. It takes an agonizingly long 15 minutes to get to my street but when we do it's blocked off by police cars and fire trucks and even a few ambulances. I get out the car without a word and run to my apartment. I get a few feet before the smoke hits me in the face but I'm determined to get home. Almost to the front steps an officer grabs me.

"It's my place on fire let me go fuck!" I scream at the white men staring back at me with disinterest.

"Mam the blaze is still ongoing and the scene hasn't been processed so I'm going to have to ask you to stay behind the police tape."

Even though I still want to get into the apartment to try and save something, anything honestly, my heart realizes it's to late. Defeated and tired I walk back to the car holding back tears.

I really lost everything.

I get in the backseat with Rose and lay my head on her lap still trying to hold back the tears while she strokes my hair. Joey looks back at me but doesn't say anything. He pulls off slowly and I close my eyes wishing I could go back in time to that day at the club. I wish I could go back and never open the car door, I wish I could go back and erase ever meeting Lance.

But I don't even know if he did it, it could have been an accident by another tenant but there's just to many coincidences. First he was stalking me then despite me having my number changed he starts calling me and threatening to hurt me. It just has to be Lance! Now because of that physco everything I ever worked for is gone!

In no time we're back to the condo and Rose is easing my head off her lap.

"Do you want to come stay with me? We'll order hot wings from Pizza Hut and some Crab Ragoons from the Chinese spot I can even convince Rodrick to bring us some snacks from WalMart" Rose says rubbing my back.

I shake my head no and nod to Joey I don't wait for them but instead start walking to the elevator. I stand in the back while they whisper to each other until we get to Rose floor when she gives me a hug and a Joey a nod.

We are silent the entire time to his loft. I'm happy he's not trying to talk to me because I don't want to talk to him. I walk to his guest room and crash into the bed to stare at the ceiling.

It takes a few seconds for the tears to come. I start crying one of those ugly cries, hiccuping, head shaking, shallow breath kind of cries.