Funny

Well here's the next one! I should actually be writing something completely different but I'm literally like a child who doesn't wanna eat their salad rn. Also, Dobkins doesn't die yet in this because I low-key love him. So without further adieu, I present this thing I wrote while procrastinating the things I'm actually supposed to be doing:

It's funny how such a normal day can go to hell so quickly. Funny...and cruel. Life was a sadistic asshole that would screw with you until your physical capacity maxed out and you dropped dead, laughing at you the whole way through. 

That's what it felt like at least.

It was a few months later, close to a year since you had met Jerome on that fateful day. You had wondered if you would be reminded of him even more on the anniversary of it all, but life had plans in store for you that you would be too preoccupied dealing with to pay much attention to anniversaries.

You were at home, giving your best attempt at baking some cookies...which...still wasn't very good, but you were working on it. You were planning on bringing them down to the Precinct if they were any good. 

After a painstakingly long amount of waiting, you pulled the oven open and set them down to cool off for about thirty seconds before you decided that was enough time and burned your tongue. You drank some cold water, slightly soothing your crisp tongue. 

After a few minutes, you were able to eat a cooled-off cookie and it was actually pretty good. You were proud of yourself as you wrapped the treats and put them in a bag to take to the Precinct. 

You were on your way to the door when your phone rang and you lifted it to your ear, "Hello?" "Hey! Hello! Y/n?" It was Amy, she sounded panicked, "Hey, Amy. What's wrong?" as you frowned. 

"Are you okay?!" She pressed and your brow furrowed, "Yeah, I'm fine, what's--" "Oh, thank all that is good and holy!" You were getting tired of this, "Amy. What's wrong?" just then your phone beeped, signaling an incoming call from your Aunt, "My Aunt's calling me..." and she panicked, "Don't answer it, Y/n! She's with the police, right? She'll bullshit you and tell you not to turn on the T.V. and to lock your doors, but 'everything's fine', but that's a shitty way of doing things and you should know what's going on! Turn on your damn T.V.!" 

You dropped your bag and ran into the living room, picking up the remote, "Okay." "Are all your doors locked? It's honestly probably going to be fine but just to be safe-" "Yeah, yeah, they're all locked. But what's--" you turned on the T.V. and...there he was, his picture at least. 

"....These are the Arkham inmates, consisting of Robert Greenwood, Aaron Helzinger, Richard Sionis, Arnold Dobkins, Barbara Keen, and Jerome Valeska. These are the inmates that have been reported to have broken out of Arkham early this morning. The GCPD along with other--" 

It all faded into a deadly silence. You couldn't hear a damn thing if you wanted to. You felt sick to your stomach, you wanted to throw up, but you couldn't move. 

He was out. He really was. It felt like you were being suffocated as the world spun around you. The pit in your stomach made it feel like you were falling, falling, falling into a deep, dark abyss that you would never escape. As though the wheels on this never-ending roller-coaster had finally started turning. Shock. Fear. Dread. You were terrified. 

You wanted to scream but it felt like he was squeezing your throat in a choke hold so you couldn't. 

Never. You never wanted to see him again and now he was out?! Why? Why?! Why?! It wasn't fair. Life isn't fair. Nothing is fair.