Does To Me

Sorry, I'm a little late, but my mom came home early so it's not my fault. Here ya go-

You stood alone, the grey sky reflecting the storm inside your heart as the chilling wind blew through the stones in the grass. You watched as the leaves in the trees rustled. Your eyes drooped as drops of rain began to fall.

It was fitting, on a day like this.

You stood far behind the group, behind a tree as you watched them place roses onto her casket. Ms. Williams cried and Em, Andy, and Jack all fiddled with the rose petals. Jake was there too, holding Ms. Williams as she wept.

You should say something. Anything. An admission of guilt, a speech of love...an apology of your aching heart. But you were a coward as you clung to the bark on the tree, tears steaming as you couldn't bring yourself to face these beautiful people...these...innocent people.

'Coward...' You whispered to yourself brokenly as you let out a sob, the self-loathing you felt increasing with every line of the eulogy.

The priest was finished speaking too quickly...far too quickly. There was so much to say that had been left unsaid. So much to do and so much undone. So much to face that would never be confronted.

As the casket began to lower into the earth, you reached out a frantic hand, desperately wishing that you could stop it's descent. But as the casket left your view, hiding within the mouth of the earth's land, you fell to your knees, fingers digging into the grass and dirt in which she would ever remain. Your best friend.

You bowed your head, your tears mixing with the rain, "It should have been me..." You wept, "It should have been me!" You screamed into the mud.

But it wasn't.

----------------------------------------------------

Walking through the front doors, you kept your head down as your fingers curled around the strap of your bag that was slung over your shoulder so tightly that your knuckles paled at the strain. Your free hand was clenched into a tight fist in your pocket, nails digging into your palm.

You could feel the stares of everyone in the hallways boring into you as you avoided anyone and everyone. No one spoke a word to you and moved out of the way when they noticed you coming near.

The whispers of some were almost as insufferable as the silence from others.

You arrived at your locker, fumbling with the combination to no avail as your hands shook violently. A frustrated grunt followed by a whimper escaped you as you pressed your forehead against the cool metal of your locker. You didn't want to be here, especially if everyone was going to treat you like some kind of circus act to stare at for fear that they would miss any part of it.

Swallowing down a sob, you pulled yourself back to try the combination again and attempted to steady your hands when you heard footsteps running towards you and you quickly turned, only for the person to grab you, wrap their arms around you and hold you against their chest.

"Y/n, thank God..." His arms tightened protectively.

"Jake...." Tears built up in your eyes as you leaned into the touch, shaking hands gripping tightly at the cloth on his back.

"It's okay, Y/n...You're safe..." He whispered, rubbing small circles on your back.

-----------------------------------------------