What Defines 'Normal'?

As an apology for my long absence I've decided to give you the next one out of the kindness of my heart!! 😌 This one is actually pretty short tho so yeah-

WARNING: I can't actually think of any besides angst and there's always that so yeah- Oh also, I hate this chapter, I think its rushed and annoying. I hate it, but I hope you like it! 

You shifted, fingers tightening on the fabric of the blanket that was draped over your shoulders. Your ankle had been bandaged up and your aunt was talking to an officer with Jim right beside her.

You stared at the ground, thinking. You had been doing that a lot lately. Too much, probably, but you couldn't find it in you to care.

Your torturer was dead. Were you supposed to feel happy? Would that be 'normal'? You felt...a little relieved that he couldn't hurt anyone anymore, if that counts as 'happiness'. But you didn't think it did. You felt horrible, tired, hurt, scared and...mournful. You were mourning his death, you supposed.

You felt confused about the whole thing. How you should feel, how you should act, how you should be...were there rules about this kind of thing? If there were, you certainly didn't know them. And you didn't know if you would be able to follow them if there were.

"Excuse me." You looked up, your body stiffening at the sight of the man before you.

"May I?" He gestured to the place beside you in the back of the parked ambulance.

"Mr. Galavan." You cleared your throat, "Glad to see you're alright." Your voice was weaker than you meant it to be but you couldn't find any strength within you at the moment. Your time with Jerome had drained it all, it seemed.

He smiled, "You were very brave back there."

You scoffed slightly as you smiled sarcastically, "Yeah definitely. My crying probably sounded like laughing to you too, right?"

He shook his head, "I've heard about you in the news, Miss. L/n. You've been through quite a lot. And yet you still tried to stop him. You even tried to protect me. You're a very brave young lady."

The sarcastic smile dropped as you didn't have the energy to keep it. You looked back down at the ground, "There are a lot of things I would call myself, Mr. Galavan...But 'brave' is not one of them."

He didn't respond to that but he also didn't leave. You didn't care. You felt no resentment towards him for what he had done. Bruce had been in danger, after all. But you also didn't feel any amount of gratitude towards him, even though some may say you 'should'.

If you were in his position, you would have tackled Jerome instead. Was the knife really necessary? Well...it was a life threatening situation and when you have to make a split second decision it may not be the same as what you would choose if you have time to think about it. So of course you felt no kind of dislike for the man. You were grateful that Bruce was safe but, beside that...you felt no inclination to show your appreciation.

It was funny, you supposed. Funny that you were mourning the death of your torturer while the one who had saved you from him you held no gratitude for.

"Y/n!" Your aunt rushed to you, embracing you tightly. You patted her arm in return but you found no true comfort in her protective hold.

"Are you alright?" She cupped your cheeks as she looked into your eyes. You hummed quietly, "Mhm...." Looking down again as her brow furrowed in worry. You wished you had the strength to care enough to try to ease it. But you felt far too tired.