Resolve

"I think," Zhongli concluded, his voice dangerously hushed, "that your name quite aptly describes your demeanor. And that you are used to getting your way, no matter what the cost. This makes you a fine soldier, yes...but a terrible companion. And an even worse diplomat. I'm afraid your queen has made a grave error in choosing you." Childe blinked. Once. Twice. And then slowly cracked his neck in earnest as he silently counted to ten. "Are you," he said quietly, his blood quickening to that familiar roar in his ears that had always preceded all his bloodletting, "suggesting that my queen would ever make such a mistake? That she is not wise in both her rule and who she chooses to attend her command? Because if you are, Zhongli, then I am afraid that it isn't the Tsaritsa who made a grave error." Childe flicked his wrists and let his blades fall into calloused hands. The same blades his queen had given him upon his induction into the Harbingers.

The same ones he was now going to take his time slowly, painfully shredding her guest with. "It's you."

Zhongli warily eyed him. "I wouldn't do that if I were you." "I would focus on using that gods-damned head of yours and apologizing so I can forget about this whole thing, if I were you," Childe spat, breathing heavily. He would give him one more chance. One more chance to prove that the Tsaritsa had been right in sending them to Liyue together. Zhongli simply stared up at the sky. "Beautiful night isn't it? It's a little chilly at the harbor, but I suppose you're already more than used to the cold. I bet these lanterns would shine far brighter with slime condensate." Childe gaped. "Would you stop waxing poetic and liste-" "Do you love her? Your queen?" Zhongli interrupted.

Childe huffed, "Well of course I do. Were you not present during these last thirty seconds or-" "No," Zhongli stated simply, "You love her. More than a soldier or a servant or any subject should. To a fault, I might add. But I respect your dedication. True loyalty is precious in a world like this." His face softened, and the Childe's heart stuttered. It was a rarity to see such an understanding glance meant for him alone.

"I found this talk quite interesting. Oh, and by the way, Harbinger," Zhongli said, holding his hand out to Childe's. Childe smirked. "I'm glad you came to your senses and chose a truce over your pride," he began as he shook hands. "It's admira-" he was suddenly seeing the world turn upside down, his legs flying over his head as Zhongli expertly flipped him over his shoulder. Like he was nothing more than a novice tripping over his own feet. As Childe hit the ground and felt the air rush out of his lungs, he yanked Zhongli down with him, his left shoulder burning enough that he knew there was going to be a nasty scrape under his clothes. The consultant barely looked winded, and had him trapped on the unforgiving ground with one knee pressed against Childe's chest. Childe narrowed his eyes. "If you thought I was going to kill you before, you've just signed your death warrant, sir ," he seethed, one of his hands still holding the dagger with a vice grip. Zhongli just smiled grimly. "Like I said, Childe. I do admire your dedication." One of his hands slid up the Harbinger's throat, and Childe braced himself, focusing on taking a deep breath long enough to last him while he tried to figure a way out. Zhongli leaned down and softly warned the Harbinger, "I protect and guide my employer as I would a child of my own. She might be troublesome, but she is my responsibility, one that I take seriously. You of all people should understand that." Still no threatening grip crushing his windpipe yet, so Childe dared to speak. "I care nothing for your employer beyond my orders," Childe said, a slow smile spreading across his face. "Now get off of me before you regret it."

Zhongli's eyes glowed with the same vigor the lanterns around them did, his face frozen in rage. Childe cocked his head. "Oh, now that. I like that look on you. On second thought, why don't we just settle this here and now?" Zhongli was still glaring at him silently, so Childe did what he did best and proceeded to piss him off. "Speaking of your employer, I wonder if she'd be open to a foreigner d-"