Paper Cranes

"Get up. I trained you better than this boy," a grating voice hissed.

Childe opened his eyes to see a sword pointed at his throat, groaning at the cuts peppering his arms and chest. The cold didn't help, and neither did the darkness. Or the bright hazel eyes that glowered at him like the woman who owned them was debating on the best way to kill him. He slowly picked up his daggers and rocked onto his feet. "Whatever do you mean Skirk? As you can see, I'm alive and in one piece." He dusted off his clothes, wincing. "See? I-" Childe wheezed as the swordmaster's boot kicked him in the chest so hard he thought he might ascend to Celestia earlier than planned.

As he crumpled back onto the floor, the woman shook her head, her ash-blonde plait swaying with her movement. "That mouth of yours will serve you no good malysh," Skirk chided. "Neither in court nor battle. You must learn to keep it in check. Provocation has its uses yes, but only when wielded correctly." She offered a hand to the still curled-up boy, who warily grabbed her as he coughed. He backed away and leaned against the frigid cave wall behind him. "When I am done with you, you will have a choice to make. You will climb the ranks as you have wished, but with power-" "Comes responsibility, yes, I know Skirk." She snorted. "You know nothing, not truly. But you will. Trouble always finds those who walk the path you chose. Without fail." She beckoned him, pointing her sword at him once again. "Now come at me. I will not be so kind this time, and neither will your enemies. So you had better fight like your life depends on it. Because one day, malysh ," she snarled as their blades met, the clang reverberating through Childe's teeth as he grit them. He pressed as hard as he could, his breath rasping and uneven. Then he made the mistake of freeing one of his daggers to swipe for Skirk's ribs. She twisted away, then rushed at him. Childe hardly had enough time to blink before the woman tackled him to the ground. He tried to roll away, but the swordmaster pinned him and swung a swift punch to his jaw. Childe could do nothing as his dagger ended up nestled against his neck. "It will."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Childe woke up in a cold sweat, clenching the sheets. He peered out of the window with squinted eyes. Barely even daybreak and I have to deal with this mess. Childe slumped forward, shutting his eyes until his racing heart calmed. Why now? He'd been doing so good at not taking unnecessary trips down memory lane. And on top of that, his sheets were now damp. He let himself fall back into the headboard with a solid thud. "Damn it all." Soft footsteps padded his way, and he braced himself. A tentative knock came, followed by an "I'm sorry to bother you, but I heard a noise. Are you...are you well?"

Childe groaned as he got up and opened the door to a bewildered Zhongli. "It could've been a dead body you know. Anything's possi-" he paused. "Why are you looking at me like that?" Zhongli tilted his head, brows furrowed. "You're pale. And you didn't curse me out immediately upon my arrival." Childe opened and closed his mouth. He walked over to the bed and sat down with his face buried in his hands. Neither spoke for a moment, and Zhongli was the first to break the silence. "Is there anything I could get you? Are you sick perhaps? I could go make something for breakfast-" "Sit."

Zhongli pursed his lips. "I am not a dog, I'll have you know-" "Just. Sit." Childe muttered, exhaustion lacing every syllable. He patted the empty spot on the bed. Zhongli acquiesced, and sat stiffly with his hands resting on his knees for what felt like an eternity. He obviously wasn't practiced enough in dealing with distressing emotions. Childe said nothing, and let the sound of the birds twittering outside fill the room. "Is this about last night-" "This is not," Childe snapped, "About last night. Last night was irrelevant." Liar, Childe thought to himself angrily. So there they sat for another heavy stretch of quiet. That was until Zhongli lightly tapped the space between them, and Childe finally looked up. He was sure there was no light left in his eyes from the way the consultant hesitated to speak. "What do you need?" He asked simply. "I need you to-" Childe faltered, then swallowed. "Sit. That's it. I don't need anything else. If it makes you uncomfortable you can-" "Since when have you ever cared about my level of comfort? How worrisome," Zhongli quipped with a half-smile. Childe rolled his eyes and started to tell him where exactly he could take his damn worry as he watched Zhongli grab a piece of paper from the nightstand. "What the hell are you doing?" "You learned about the existence of the adepti. But have you heard some of their tales?" he said as he started folding the paper. "Unfortunately, I didn't have time for bedtime stories during our voyage here," Childe said dryly. "Ah," Zhongli breathed, folding a small corner, "but these are no bedtime stories."

"Consider this," he said softly, holding up his finished work, "a briefing if you will." Childe looked to see a paper crane sitting in Zhongli's palm and an unspoken question in his eyes. Can I teach you? Will you let me help you?

"Alright 'History Book'," Childe conceded. "Show me what I might've missed. Don't blame me if I fall asleep in the middle though." Zhongli put his hand over his heart in mock sincerity. "Never fear Childe. There's plenty of violence and blood spilling. You won't be bored." Childe blinked. "Was that...a joke? From you?" Zhongli snorted, gingerly placed the crane on Childe's knee, and folded his arms. "Let's see. I know a great many stories of the adepti. But perhaps I should start with a story you'll understand the most." Childe cocked his head and sat up fully. "To his people, he is the 'Vigilant Yaksha', who walks with the shadows to fulfill his duty of guarding Liyue," Zhongli began. " But his given name is Xiao, one of the most revered protectors of this land. And he has burdened his soul with many sins in service to Rex Lapis."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Childe looked up at the ceiling. "This Xiao, he did all of that...sacrificed everything, for his service? Did Rex Lapis not care at all?" Zhongli shook his head sadly. "On the contrary, Harbinger. I believe he cared too much. Being forced to choose between what you know is the right outcome for many versus what you want is a burden the god had to repeatedly carry. It changes a person. But I would like to think that despite the karma he has reaped, the blood he has spilled...Xiao will one day ascend to Celestia with open arms waiting for him. That those above will see his soul for the kind and loyal thing it is." Childe exhaled, finally looking Zhongli in the eyes. "And what about me? Or was I just doomed from the start?" I can't be the scared little boy who was stuck in the Abyss anymore. That can't be my end. Zhongli smoothed the sheets as he stood. "Well, Lord Childe," he said, pausing at the door, " I'm not the one who has to answer that question for you, am I?" Childe chuckled bitterly. "I should've asked Rex Lapis when I had the chance I suppose. Him being a god and all." Silence. Childe studied Zhongli, who had the doorknob in a vice grip. "For what it's worth, Harbinger," Zhongli said with a knowing smile, "I think you'd find that you have a lot more in common with the god than you believe."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any semblance of peace Childe had gotten that morning went out the window as two of his Fatui subordinates stood in front of him in Northland Bank, heads bowed as their bodies shook. "We're terribly sorry Lord Childe, but-" "Shut your mouth before I shut it for you," Childe said flatly. "Yes sir!" both of the soldiers shouted. "So you mean to tell me that not only does Aether know about the Sigils of Permission we made," Childe laughed incredulously, "you let him leave alive with this information? He's probably already on his way to the damned Qixing right now!" Neither soldier said anything. "A wise decision to fulfill at least one of the orders I gave you. You're both demoted effective immediately. I suggest you leave my sight before I decide your lives are forfeit." They ran towards the door, both shoving and cursing at each other to get out first.

"Lord Childe-" Childe sighed, running his hands through his hair as he faced a pale-faced bank teller who looked one more sentence away from throwing up. " What. Spit it out." "The Tsaritsa sent a message for you, it arrived a few days ago," the teller held out the letter, hands tremoring. Childe took it and waved the man off. "Greetings, Lord Childe..." he muttered.

I hope you have been able to make sufficient headway through your mission. Tensions will be high between the Liyue Qixing and the Fatui, and it could pose potential problems in the road ahead. Making sure that you kept a watchful eye on both Liyue and our experiments with the Sigils Of Permission was only the first phase. And now, I need you to do what you do best. Do not let anyone get in the way of finishing your task there.

Do not fail me.

-Her Majesty, The Tsaritsa of Sneznayah

He rubbed his eyes, already dreading the duties of his "official" job. There would be negotiations, threats, power plays. All things that people like Signora would be more suited for, things that a true courtier would love. But the real work, the carnage, and destruction...that would be arriving too. He smiled, genuinely this time. This is what he was made for.

He would have to readjust some parts of the plan, maybe move others into position. And he was definitely going to end up burning most of the bridges he had left. But first...first he had a stop to make.