A Little Bit Lighter

Childe had been off-kilter for days now, and it only got worse closer to the Lantern Rite.

When he was doing an exhibition match with one of the Fatui Agents for the new recruits, he'd gotten so distracted by a bird landing near a puddle that the Agent had managed to land a dizzying punch on him. The triumphant look on his face only lasted for a millisecond before Childe bared his teeth and kneed him in the stomach.

Then, when he returned home to make his monthly report, Scaramouche couldn't resist taking a jab at him. "A pity Her Majesty reduced you to nothing more than reconnaissance," Scaramouche sneered. "It is my duty, one that I am privileged to do," Childe replied politely. The Tsaritsa raised her glass towards him, giving her approval. Scaramouche ignored him, resting his hand on the hilt of his sword. "My eyes have told me you've been enjoying our dear ambassador's company more than I would have expected," he continued casually. Childe remained silent, the rest of the Harbingers laughing. He chose his next words carefully. "We have come to find common ground, him and I. I have learned much about Liyue through him, and it has been most helpful." Signora gave him a once over, her head cocked to the side. "I see you adopted his silver tongue as well," she mused. "How...interesting." Scaramouche walked towards a draped window, peering down at the frost-ridden ground below. "It's a little too interesting, don't you think, Pierro?"

Their First-ranked grunted, swallowing the rest of his wine and reaching for a slice of roast chicken before answering with his gravelly voice. "As long as the job gets done, and her Majesty is pleased, I care not who our dear Childe warms his bed with." Childe froze, his fork clattering to his plate. "How did you-" "I didn't," Pierro interrupted with a sly smile. "I just guessed. And you just confirmed it. But it is as I said before. What you do with that archon has nothing to do with me, so long as you complete your missions." His eyes hardened. "And remember where your loyalties lie." Childe shakily nodded, his gaze drifting over to the Tsaritsa. "I already knew," she said flatly. "You border treason, Childe. The only reason I haven't killed you or dismissed you is because this could still work to our benefit. Do as you please. But one wrong step..." Childe could have sworn the room got colder as ice coated his queen's hand, "And you will not have to worry about me sending Pierro. Are we clear?" Childe bowed his head, one hand placed over his chest. "Death by your hand would be an honor, your Majesty. But I understand. Your will is mine."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unfortunately, Scaramouche's room was in the same hall as his, and Childe wasn't about to board a boat in the middle of the night. So when they were dismissed, he had to listen to Scaramouche blabber about his latest missions. After his colleague finished one particularly grisly recount of a hit in Inazuma, Childe almost sighed in relief when he was in sight of his bedroom. He walked towards the doorknob, blocking out Scaramouche's needling voice until he heard:

"Hmmm, I've never gone toe to toe with a god before, even a retired one. Maybe I should just kill your little boyfriend-" Childe didn't know when his dagger ended up meeting Scaramouche's blade, or that he could even move that fast. The metal scraped between them, Scaramouche's eyes narrowing when Childe didn't back down. "If you so much as touch a thread of his clothing," Childe promised, his voice a deathly quiet, "I will show you everything I learned while I was stuck in that Abyss. I will send you there. Personally." Scaramouche crowed with laughter, "I would love to see you try." He leaped back and sheathed his sword, opening the door to his room. "You've gone soft on me, water boy," Childe squared his shoulders as Scaramouche looked him up and down with disgust. "A waste of a perfect weapon, really." And Childe could do nothing but swallow his anger as his superior slammed the door shut.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And now, Childe was in Qingyun Peak, gently holding a Qingxin flower. His feet swung off the edge of the cliff he was perched on, the evening breeze almost doing a good job of easing his troubled mind. He did his best to ignore the statue of the seven a few feet away from him, releasing the flower into the breeze before getting up. He was about to ready his wind glider when he heard a gruff voice say, "I wasn't aware that this particular statue got many visitors." Childe refrained from reaching for his daggers, slowly turning to meet the stranger. The man nodded at Childe's hands. "A smart decision. I didn't want to get blood on sacred ground. But I suppose that wouldn't matter to Fatui Harbinger, now would it?" Childe noted the dark green tattoos on the man's arm and the golden eyes that looked far older than he let on. "The question is, who's blood would it be?" Childe dipped his head in acknowledgment. "I never thought I would meet an adeptus in the flesh. It's an honor, Xiao."

A crack of a smile. But Childe knew it wasn't a nice one. "May I ask why you're here in front of the very god you took part in exiling?" Xiao asked, lifting his eyes to the statue. "May I ask why you even care?" Childe countered. "I thought all that wandered Liyue were welcome to worship or observe as they wanted." Xiao gripped his polearm tightly. "That is true. Then let me try a different question. Why are you in front of a statue of a man whose heart you tossed aside?" Childe snapped his head up, ready to retort, but Xiao raised a hand. "He does not tell us things of this nature. The other adepti do not know of this either. I was never good with human emotions. They tend to cause more trouble than they're worth. But..." the grip on the polearm grew even tighter, "I owe him more than you will ever know. He saved me." Childe held back his tears as he remembered the folded paper crane that same man carefully crafted for him. "And your point is, Xiao?"

Xiao shook his head. "My point is that you're an idiot. And so is he, actually." Childe gaped. Did all the adepti have such callous regard for Zhongli's status? Xiao snorted. "Don't look at me like that. He values honesty above all other traits in his trusted. And while he might be powerful, he isn't infallible. He makes mistakes just as we do. But he tends to take on the weight of suffering all to himself whenever he can." Xiao grabbed his mask, studying the cracks and emerald tendrils of aura scattering around it. "I should know better than anyone what that can do to a person." Childe threw his hands in the air helplessly. "What do you want me to do? This is far more than I signed up for. And I didn't push him away without reason either. He deserves better."

Both men looked out at the sun setting, patches of indigo starting to litter the golden sky. "He believes better is you, Childe. And that is enough," Xiao insisted gently. Childe just stood soberly, his eyes closing. "I want him to be happy, Childe. He got to have snatches and pieces of it, during his reign," Xiao continued, "But he never was allowed to stay that way. Gods, especially ones that go to war as much as he did, hardly ever get that privilege. But I think maybe it is his time now." Childe still couldn't look at him. He heard a throat clearing and a thunk next to his boot and looked down to see an unlit lantern with a blank slip of paper attached. "If nothing else, I want you to use this lantern in my stead," Xiao rasped. "At least do that. I don't participate in festivals. But he always looks so pleased to watch the citizens release them each year."

Childe nodded almost imperceptibly, then felt, more than saw Xiao leave.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The night of the Lantern Right had finally arrived. Kneeling, Zhongli placed two sticks of lit incense into a burner and placed it in front of a stone tablet. "Guizhong," he smiled tenderly, "I am here another year in this world without you. You are still missed as always, old friend." He placed a bag of tea near the incense. "I brought you your favorite. I hope it is up to par. Feel free to let me know in the afterlife if I see you." He stopped. "When I see you, that is. You have always lectured me about words having power." Zhongli let out a long-suffering sigh. "Hopefully, that holds true. Because I am about to do something very stupid. I will not ask for your blessing. I only ask for your strength. You had the most out of the two of us, in all the ways that counted." He paused, looking toward Celestia. "You were happy, if for but a moment," he whispered. "So now, I want to have the life you tried to get me to see. I want the contentment you managed to pry from this world. I will give myself that." He rose and placed a hand over his heart. "Goodbye, love. May your spirit be at peace in Celestia."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Childe's attendants stood around him in awe, gleefully showing approval of the carefully tailored clothes and the meticulously applied kohl. One of them bowed, gesturing towards the door. "Are you ready to depart, Lorde Childe? I can call for the carriage at once."

Childe lightly traced the top of the lantern, then squared his shoulders. "I am. You may ready the carriage. Did you get the materials I requested?" "Yes, Lorde Childe." "Good. I owe someone a favor. And I intend to fulfill that favor to the best of my abilities."