Exihiliration

Aether leaped back and blasted a blistering gust of wind at Childe, who rolled out of the way with a grunt.

"Do not give an inch of ground when facing a new enemy," Skirk said, sharpening her sword. "Test them. Seek weaknesses. But never falter. Understand that fighting is just as much of a mental exercise as it is physical." Childe tugged at his hair. "And what if I find out I'm weaker?" he mumbled. Skirk laughed, her head tossed back. She reached over and lightly punched Childe in the arm with her free hand. "Oh moy malen'kiy voin," she said as her eyes danced with mirth. My little warrior, she always took to calling him. Her pride and joy. "Why would that matter? Your job will be to make them believe that you still stand above them." She put down her sword, and affectionately tousled the boy's head. "You are only as strong as you let yourself be."

Childe roared as he ran at Aether, water-cloaked daggers clanging against his sword. Aether groaned but held his position. Childe laughed, eyes wild. "You've lasted longer than I expected, comrade. A pity you didn't accept the Fatui's offer to join our ranks." Aether gritted his teeth. "Never," he spat as two separated, chest heaving. "Never will I work for the Fatui. You all have caused enough grief. In this land," he summoned a column of wind, sending it whipping towards the Harbinger, "and the next. Your queen is disastrous for those who don't call Snezhnaya home." Childe's eye twitched. "You'll regret saying that, I think. Perhaps it's time for me to take you more seriously." Aether watched in horror as the wind bounced off of an orb of water surrounding Childe, electricity crackling from inside it. He stepped back and squinted warily, trying to figure out an angle to best attack when the water started to fall. Childe rolled his shoulders, bow in hand. He had traded his clothes out for darker attire, and his mask now donned his face. He took his daggers and joined them at the handles, and Aether tensed as they transformed into a two-bladed staff. It was practically vibrating, violet swirls of light and the sound of static accompanying Childe's swing as he readied it at his side. "That's...electro energy," Paimon gulped. "TRAVELER WATCH OUT!"

Aether didn't even get the chance to parry before Childe slashed his shoulder, electro lighting his trail past. "Traveler!" Paimon flew to his side, tugging at his cape. He hissed through the pain, facing Childe with his sword arm still steady. "Hmmm, I can see why Signora was so wary of you now. That wasn't meant to be a killing blow, but you still should have passed out. A worthy adversary indeed," Childe mused, twirling his staff thoughtfully.

"But unfortunately, friend," he said, sweeping his arms out as he did a slow turn around the dais, "I came here for something. And I pride myself on always getting what I want." Aether hardly blinked as Childe teleported to the Exuvia's display, jauntily hanging off the side. "No," Aether rasped, stumbling towards Childe. He chuckled, electro acting as a drill as he plunged his hand into the Exuvia's shield. "Now if you excuse me, I'll be taking thi-" he stopped as his hand came out with no gnosis in tow. "No," he whispered, staring at his empty palm. His head snapped up. "You. You beat me to it, didn't you?" his voice shook with anger as he clapped his hands slowly. "No matter. Give it to me." Aether remained silent as Paimon screeched, "We didn't take it!" Childe cocked his head. "It's useless to lie to me. And I certainly won't hesitate to take back my earlier decision on not killing you, even if it means I have to pry the gnosis from your cold, dead hands." He leapt down, slamming his feet into the ground. The ground around him cracked. "Let's call this," he growled, his body growing bigger by the second while his gloves and pants morphed into armor. His mask changed into one with a single blue orb in place of eye holes, and his staff now had wisps of water adorning the edges of the blades. "Me giving you my respect as an opponent. It's not too late to just give me what I came for, you know." Paimon audibly gulped. "We said we didn't have it !" Childe plunged his staff into the dais, breaking the entire floor. He distantly heard Paimon scream as they all went into freefall, Aether wheezing as he fell onto his injured shoulder. Childe didn't bother to hide the wrath in his voice as he landed, his staff groaning from his grip. "Ready your blade, Traveler."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Zhongli had to give whoever trained the Harbinger credit.

They had to be a gods damned monster.

And the archon was glad he hadn't met Childe when he was young and untested as a deity. They might have very well cleaved the land in two from the conflict.

Zhongli watched through the Exuvia as Childe hardly faltered in his barrage of attacks, pressing Aether for every inch of ground he took from him. He winced as Aether met the soldier blow for blow, not missing the way the traveler locked his jaw in agony.

He's....

Childe backhanded Aether with enough force to have the pillar behind him shake as he slammed against it, then sent a wave of water racing towards Paimon, who squeaked.

He's going to break him. And Zhongli couldn't do anything. No, he wouldn't do anything. All while an innocent man put his life on the line for a nation he hardly knew.

And yet Aether stood his ground. He paused for a moment, and let his guard drop. Zhongli furrowed his brows as he watched Aether close his eyes. Childe stopped. "What on earth are you doing? Finally decided to give in huh?" Childe hissed. But Zhongli knew better. He knew that the traveler's brief respite was not one of weakness. Aether opened his eyes, amber irises glinting with promise. Perhaps, Zhongli thought as he saw Aether gather a cocoon of fierce winds around him, gods were allowed to make mistakes now and then. For he had sorely misjudged this outcome. And he didn't want to know what that meant for the rest of his decisions.