Hide And Seek

Zhongli was used to being stared at, but today felt...different.

As a deity, his adepti had always looked to him, had observed his tells to see when he deigned for peace, and when he was preparing for slaughter.

As a mortal man of Liyue, women in the street market would titter and coo at his passing. Men would usually subtly appraise him; whether it be from attraction or scoping out possible competition he couldn't decide. Zhongli knew that the way he spoke, the outdated manners he carried with him, and the niche trivia from centuries of experience did not aid in his attempt to blend in. But he was loathe to part with them anyway. The clothes he took care in choosing, the straight posture he walked with, all of these were things everyone expected of him now.

And then there was Childe.

Childe, who now was the reason he had a spring in his step and a relaxed expression on his face for his usual watchers to see. Childe, who had a content smile as he wrapped the sash around Zhongli's waist, calloused hands contrasting with the delicate way he tied it. Childe, who had truly looked at a god of war and had not run. Who instead quietly watched said god apply orange kohl to his eyes with practiced strokes, his gaze tracking the pencil's movement. Zhongli always cursed his good memory, but he was thankful he would never forget the way his rosy lips parted and his sapphire eyes filled with wonder.

As he entered Hu Tao's office, he noted the empty cups of tea, unfurled scrolls, a tipped-over bowl of ink, and a frazzled Hu Tao snoring loudly on her desk. Her hat was sliding off to the side sloppily. Zhongli grabbed a book off of one of many shelves and stood in front of Hu Tao.

He wasn't counting on being punched in the stomach as he let the book slam onto the desk. Wheezing and stumbling backward, he offered a pained smile. "Good morning, Hu Tao." Hu Tao glared at him. "I should have punched you harder. I have a lot for you to do, so grab some tea if you need it. Here's the-" She froze, hands full of papers and dockets. Then squinted as she tilted her head. "Are you wearing...maroon?" Zhongli raised his chin. "I am. I've been told it rather suits me." Hu Tao did a double-take as she further examined him. "And a sash!?" Zhongli rolled his eyes. "Yes, Hu Tao." His boss whistled, and Zhongli gulped as her lips spread into a delighted smile. "Oh. Little boy red has you by leash and collar, doesn't he? I bet he yanks you around however he pleases."

Zhongli's face flushed as he remembered hauling Childe down with him to the bedroom floor breathlessly, and politely coughed into his wrist. Hu Tao crinkled her nose. "Whatever it is you're thinking about, spare me." Zhongli wanted to argue that Hu Tao never spared him of her ever-running mouth but refrained. "Anyway, here's your list of item requests that the clients put in. The notes for funeral accommodations are also there as well. Meet me back here in two days, and we'll run down the entire list. Be careful traveling cross country please." She shooed him out of the door, her mouth set grimly. Zhongli looked back towards her desk, then to her. "Hu Tao? Try not to die of over exhaustion." Hu Tao brightened and put a hand over her heart as Zhongli started closing the door.

"I don't feel like burying such an impudent brat today."

He quickly shut the door as a knife sank into the wood. Unfortunately, it did nothing to soften the loud cursing that followed his exit.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Zhongli breathed in the smell of docks as he gripped his satchel. The lapping water and brine calmed him every time he went for a stroll, and this was no exception. However, he couldn't stop to take it in as he normally did. There was much to be done in the two days he was given.

The hustle and bustle of Liyue Harbor was a downside most travelers neglected to mention to bright-eyed recruits and captivated traders. He was still unused to it, even as a person long-lived. He had to have muttered at least a thousand pardons and apologies on his way to the other side of Liyue City. He sighed in relief as he finally reached a courtyard with a kite stall and an ore salesman. So, he'd made it to Chihu Rock in one piece and his constitution somewhat intact. According to his list, he just needed to discuss incense requests with a woman by the name of Ying'er. He navigated his way to the building, then stopped a few steps away and closed his eyes. Silk flowers, he thought wistfully, and of good quality too. A pity he wasn't here on personal business.

As he went to go ring the service bell, he was stopped by a small body running into his legs. "Ow!" the boy whined, rubbing his forehead. "Mister, didn't you see me?" Zhongli knelt down to check him for injuries, hands moving fast with worry. "I do apologize, young one. I could have taken better care to-" He stopped. Those eyes...he'd seen them glare at him before. And there was no mistaking that auburn hair. But he didn't recall Childe mentioning a brother. He cleared his throat. "Are you perhaps, lost? Is there any way you could help me locate your guardian?" The boy giggled. "You'd have to sail to get to them silly! And I don't know where my big brother went, but he'll find me! He always does! He tried to send me with a pair of babysitters but they were sooooo boring. I wanted to explore! But now, I'm kinda sleepy, so I need to find big brother." Zhongli took one look at that proud grin and decided to leave out the part about his brother also being a stubborn bastard out of his inquiry. He sighed. "Well, you cannot stay here, uh...what is your name?" "Teucer!" Zhongli smiled gently. "Teucer, a what a nice name. Well, Teucer, it is ill-advised to roam city streets at your age without a chaperone. It just so happens that I need a helper for some rather important tasks today. Do you think you're up for the job? We can look for your brother along the way." Teucer nodded excitedly. "I can do that! Oh, I hope my brother brings me back a toy from his job again!"

Zhongli cocked his head. "From his...job?" Surely he didn't tell such a young boy his job description-

"Yup! The greatest toymaker in all of Teyvat! His company is really big, and he came to Liyue on a business trip!"

It took everything in Zhongli not to facepalm. "That sounds delightful, Teucer. I hope he brings you back a toy as well." He stood up and dusted his pants. "Let us make haste then. If you help me fast enough," he whispered conspiratorially, "I'll buy you lots of dessert for dinner. Just don't tell your brother." Teucer snatched the list from his hand and ran up to the perfume shop with a zeal he wasn't sure he should or even could stop, and Zhongli couldn't help the quiet sigh that left him.

Because now he knew for sure that he was going to strangle Childe the next time he saw him.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Childe wanted to strangle himself.

He had been doing fine up until this point, despite all the hiccups his baby brother had presented during his induction of new Fatui recruits. He'd lied, sure, but what was new? As long as his family was safe, he'd lie as much as needed to.

And then of course, as most events in his life did, things went to shit.

It took everything in him not to fight the Traveler and Paimon when they told him that Teucer had disappeared. He left before he drew his daggers. Before he added to his kill tally and would have to lie about where his brother's babysitters had run off to. And he'd spent most of the day scouring Liyue Harbor, asking passers-by and shopkeepers if they'd seen a young boy that looked like him. He'd had no luck so far, and he planned on giving up and retracing his steps after this last stop. Daylight was running out, and the evening sky told him just how long he'd been attempting his tracking. He peered up at the sign. Scent Of Spring. He sighed and rang the service bell. A young woman came out in a violet kimono, her dark brown hair plaited out of the way. Childe steeled himself as she gave him a slow once-over. "May I help you?"

"I'm looking for a young boy who has hair and eyes like mine. He was wearing a winter hat that I gifted him, and he has freckles as well. He-" The young woman chuckled. "He was wearing brown shorts too, right? Oh, I believe I saw him earlier with another gentleman." She clapped her hands together happily. "I'm so glad he isn't a father after all. I just assumed with the serious way he carried himself and those over-the-top manners he must have been a married man." Childe's heart fell to his ass. He'd thought there was no way possible his day could get any worse. "Did he have amber eyes and a maroon blouse by chance?" The woman nodded. "Yes, quite beautiful eyes. A shame he-" Childe was already running, ignoring the rest of the woman's words.

He could only hope that uppity son of a bitch had decided to watch over Teucer at his home. Childe didn't know if he could hold back his rage another time.

Hang on Teucer, he prayed silently. I promised you the day you were born. I will always find you.