May The Wind Guide You

Hu Tao had seriously had enough of this shit.

Death was a lot more simple than people gave it credit for. You live, your body starts to deteriorate, you die. Now, sure, the ways death came about could be anywhere from drearily boring to irritatingly complex. She had been involved in enough autopsies to understand just how complicated one's departure from life could get.

And yet she still preferred it to whatever this was. To whatever had Zhongli banging on her door at a time so early even the fishermen couldn't possibly be at port yet. Hu Tao blearily greeted him, rubbing her eyes as though it would make the archon at her door disappear. "What can I do for you, oh great god of this land who doesn't respect its denizen's right to proper rest," she intoned. Zhongli didn't bother scolding her and instead launched into a rushing torrent of words. "Childe opened Osial's prison with the sigils of permission and all of Liyue is in danger, Traveler, the adepti, and the Qixing along with their military forces have decided to make the Jade Chamber their battleground-" "I'm going back to bed now. Wake me up when Osial starts swallowing the eastern port. Or don't. I'll die happily under my covers," she yawned, starting to close the door. Zhongli yanked the doorknob back. Hu Tao huffed. "Oh for crying out loud! What do you want me to do; you've made your choice remember! And I'm sure not up to par for fighting an actual sea monster, Zhongli. It's got to be thirty times the size of this gods damned harbor-"

"I didn't come here to get you to interfere; this is their test after all. What I need from you is to get me as close as possible to the fight without us being seen," Zhongli explained. Hu Tao crossed her arms. "First of all, even if I was willing, what on earth gives you the idea that I could possibly pull something like that off?" Zhongli stared her down. "I knew your predecessors, all of them. The abilities you gain from working with spirits are not a secret to me." Hu Tao just studied her nails, casually whistling a sailor song out of tune as she waited. The archon sighed and let his head hang in defeat. "What is it that you want, Hu Tao? And make it somewhat reasonable, if you would. I haven't the time." She clapped her hands with glee. "Oh now see, you should've just started with that! Now, I've been thinking that the backorders have piled up and need some attending to, and one of the clients I got last week is just an absolute pain to negotiate with..." she fluttered her eyelashes at him. Zhongli pinched his nose. "Just leave the list of requests on my desk, Hu Tao."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Zhongli fiddled with his gloves as he watched the adepti ballistae fire shot after shot at the monster from his viewing spot on the roof of the Jade Palace. Hu Tao quirked her lips to the side. "You look pretty calm for someone who insisted I drag us straight into, oh I don't know, the closest I could possibly get to leaving a first-hand review of my business." Zhongli watched Xiao's polearm cut through Fatui soldiers like grass, his war cry startling some of the Millileth soldiers in his flanks. He almost felt bad for whoever had to face him. "Are you sure they won't see us?" Hu Tao gaped. "We could become fish food any minute now and that's what you're worried about-" her voice fell away as Zhongli's eyes glowed. She groaned and waved her hand around the smoky shield wrapped around them, streaks of orange and red light banding through it every few seconds. She picked up a nearby branch and tossed it at a quaking Millileth guard below, who didn't look up as it hit his shoulder. Zhongli nodded in approval and looked back towards the battle, ignoring Hu Tao's mutters of "It's always is this done, Hu Tao? Is that done, Hu Tao? Hurry up, Hu Tao, I have to tell you things about the burdens of godhood and why I still haven't had angry sex with that Harbinger when you literally served him to me on a platter. I should make you a huge bag of mora, Hu Tao!" He turned around and glared at the director, who blinked up at him with a saccharine smile.

"If you weren't the only human I trusted, little girl, I swear I would-" "Look down." "Excuse me, I was talking to you-" Hu Tao shook her head and pointed towards the edge of the balcony, where Ningguang and the others had gathered in the midst of the limp, bruised bodies. "Look. Down. They're talking about their next moves." Zhongli gritted his teeth. "Get us closer." He looked up to see Hu Tao roll her eyes up to the sky. "Please," he added hurriedly.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The Guizhong Ballista is destroyed. Without its covering fire, retaliation shall be difficult," Cloud Retainer said. "But the Jade Chamber is our last line of defense! We can't give another inch...no matter what!" countered Ganyu. Zhongli smiled sadly. Ganyu had been- no, still was- one of the most faithful Qilin he knew. He couldn't have been more proud of her conviction. Ningguang raised a hand. "I have...another idea," she said cautiously. "What do you mean, Lady Ningguang?" Ganyu asked, shaking. Ninguaang took a breath. "I'll sacrifice the Jade Chamber."

Zhongli couldn't believe what he was hearing. Ningguang giving up the Jade Chamber? Unthinkable. He had watched the woman work from the ground up to build it, her ambition shining through all of the rare and beautiful materials gathered for its construction, down to the plaustrite used to give the building its floating status. Surely she'd fight harder for it? He started to tell Hu Tao so, but the director watched the interaction with a solemn look of understanding. Of course. She walks with death hand in hand all the time. She understands loss at its most base form most of all.

Xiao just inclined his head towards the Tianquan. "I understand," he said gruffly. Everyone looked to Ningguang in acceptance and respect. Zhongli felt a lump rise up in his throat. This is was the fate he had consigned everyone to. All just for the chance to walk among his people as equals. He felt a tap on his shoulder. "Do not second guess your decision," Hu Tao said firmly. "But look what I have done-" "That is true. But you also dishonor the sacrifice that the Tianquan has put forth if you lead your new life with regret. Have you really come this far just to turn heel?"

Zhongli's gaze softened. The girl was far wiser than she let on, he realized for the first time. Her eyes were no stranger to sadness and grief, and it had aged her, as it did him. Those same eyes were now widened with panic. "Zhongli we have to go. Now!" "Wha-" "They're gathering energy to bring the place down on Osial. Think! These are the most powerful people in Liyue, we don't have much time!" So Zhongli spared one last glance as he watched the Traveler slam his sword into the ground. Thank you, Lady Ningguang. For putting your ambitions aside for your people. Your sacrifice will not be in vain, and your story will be told for years to come. I will make sure of it.

Zhongli grabbed Hu Tao and jumped off the balcony, hiding his face from her as he let the tears fall. Maybe when they landed, he could blame it on the dust and debris raining on them from the explosion he couldn't look away from. He spotted the traveler and the others flying down towards the harbor, specks in the air. And even though he wasn't very fond of the drunkard he was about to ask a favor of, even though they had quarreled more often than not, he decided to make a tiny concession of his own. Please, he begged, his arms wrapping tighter around Hu Tao's waist, let the wind guide them safely. Give them your blessing.

And he could have sworn he felt a warm breeze lick his face in answer. Zhongli laughed shakily, and he was sure Hu Tao must've thought he had finally lost it. Thank you, friend.