The Way Back Home

Over three thousand years, and it never got old.

Zhongli knew the schedule for the festival ahead of time every year, given his status and his obligations to the city. Sure, some traditions had been simplified, but their core intent held fast. Everything, from the food to the merchant stalls to the elaborate lanterns...he might regret killing for a lot of things, but never this. Liyue would be his home until the end.

He took his time tasting the mooncake he managed to snag before the vendor had run out. It was white lotus flavored, the same one he bought at all the previous festivals without fail. As he finished his treat, he stopped in front of a procession of musicians and dancers, the latter's robes swishing and fluttering as they twirled. There was a rainbow of colored fabric, and the lights casting off the clothes made them look as if everyone was dipped in gold. He looked at the crowd. As expected (and most deserved), everyone was awestruck. He picked out the nobles almost immediately, a habit he'd never been able to break.

Familiar faces, most of them. He nodded at the Yuheng of the Qixing, Lady Keqing. A polite smile, then her gaze returned to the performance. She'd always been his favorite. Liyue would be safe in the hands of determined leaders like herself.

He kept going, observing expats whose clothes marked them from Sumeru, Fontaine, and...he frowned. A masked man wearing garments with Liyuan design, yes, but the fan was most certainly from Inazuma. And while the fan already let Zhongli know that this person was well-off, the hanfu was simply exquisite. There were very few people in all of Liyue that could handle that level of work and quality, and none of them were cheap. The fabric itself was a deepset crimson that eventually faded to a subtle rose gold at the bottom of the robe. The mask was of a laughing mime, its lips painted bloodred. To make things even more curious, the robe was hooded. Every slight movement let labyrinthine rivulets of gold shimmer through the cloth, and Zhongli decided he simply had to go ask the man who he commissioned. Perhaps he could put in an order for a new overcoat. He did have very particular tastes after all.

Zhongli squeezed his way through the crowd, making his way to the stranger. The man was still turned towards the show when Zhongli lightly tapped his shoulder. "I apologize, sir, but your attire is simply magnificent. May I ask who is responsible for such a work of art?" The stranger fully turned and went still when he faced him. Zhongli tried not to worry. Was there some new custom he didn't know about? He relaxed as the stranger crooked a finger to summon a footman, who visibly paled when he gestured for him to get closer. After a whispered sentence or two, the footman rummaged around in his pack and handed Zhongli a slip of paper. "T-t-this is the tailor who is responsible for milord's finery," he explained nervously. "If that is all, I will go tend to the carriage, Lord-" He stopped as he saw the gentleman shake his head. The footman cleared his throat. "Have a wonderful festival, sirs." Zhongli raised an eyebrow as the servant hurried away.

"I do thank you for the recommendation. I shall-" Zhongli noted the lantern the stranger held behind his back, and smiled. "Ah! Are you observing Liyue's traditions? How wonderful!" The stranger nodded. "Quite the silent type, aren't we? I don't suppose we could exchange names?" The man looked at the performance one more time, and Zhongli could have sworn he looked desperate. The man hesitated, then shoved the lantern into Zhongli's hands. "I thank you for your kindness Lord...person whose name I yet not know, but I have no need of a lantern. You may take it back. I would like you to enjoy the festival the way it is meant to be enjoyed. It is open for everyone, no matter land or creed." The stranger winced, then shook his head quickly and pointed to the inside of the lantern. There was a slip of fortune paper and an envelope inside. Zhongli frowned. "Is this for me? I do not understand. We don't even know each other." The man groaned and pressed his gloved hands to Zhongli's.