Intruder

All was going according to plan, Childe reminded himself as he led Aether to Liuli Pavilion. He kept his fidgeting to a minimum, determined not to scare off the traveler. It was pure luck that Childe tracked him down and found him the moment he was cornered by the Millelith. It was even better luck that he agreed to come with Childe despite his allegiance to the Tsaritsa. After promising him that his ally would be able to help him solve the mystery of the Geo Archon's vessel and the Qixing's movements, Aether cautiously relented.

Of course, Signora pulled off something that flashy. Childe gritted his teeth as Aether told him about Barbatos' gnosis being stolen, and explained that the only reason he considered traveling with the Harbinger was because his back was against the wall. Quite literally. "If you give me any reason to doubt you, I'm leaving. And I'll fight my way out if I have to," Aether insisted, his expression making it clear that the second option wasn't a foreign choice to him. Childe had half a mind to tell him that if he couldn't beat Signora then he certainly had a ways to go before fighting him but decided against it. He'd ask Signora more about her mission when he got back. Hopefully before the Lantern Rite festival in 3 weeks' time. And be done with this place, he grumbled as he plastered a serene smile on his face and entered the restaurant. Childe and Zhongli's gazes met. Childe greeted him softly, kindly. "Hi. Allow me to introduce Mr. Zhongli, consultant to an organization known as Wangsheng...and a trusted associate of the Fatui." And done with him.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Zhongli was well versed in one principle he had always adhered to no matter what: patience.

Patience is a virtue? Sure. But the point of him always choosing patience was not because it made him virtuous.

Patience was always rewarded. Patience always got Zhongli what he wanted. Contracts, high tea with government officials, favorable consideration when it came time to purchase implements and materials for Hu Tao when needed. It was all due to his ability to wait and determine what would produce the best outcome. But lately, he'd been forgetting how to be...himself. He'd forgotten how to play the game, how to guide himself through the routine of restraint. And one of the reasons for that was sitting right in front of him, being ever the gracious mediator. Being everything but the rage-filled, foul-mouthed soldier he practically strangled last night.

It pissed him off.

There had been very few times Zhongli ever found himself enraged the way he had been last night. The Harbinger had even made him pick up his nasty habit of swearing. It was ridiculous. A gentleman, no, an ambassador of a gods-damned foreign nation should never stoop so low. He caused more trouble than he was worth.

"If you really want to shut me up, there are better ways," he said breathlessly, a taunting grin dancing across his face.

If only he knew just how close Zhongli was to making good on that offer. He'd almost taken him that second when Childe decided to pull that stunt with his knee. Had almost decided to have him however he wanted in the middle of that clearing. He'd wanted to see how much it would take to break such an accomplished soldier, if he could make Childe beg for him to keep going, no, see him crying while he brokenly pleaded that he couldn't take anymore-

"And we the Fatui have always been glad to do business with friends who walk in the shadows." Childe finished, picking up his teacup as he gestured to Zhongli, who simply blinked twice out of his reverie and continued. " It is an honor to meet you, Traveler. I have heard tell of you from Mondstadt." Although he didn't recall hearing about the floating, fae-looking companion next to him. Who was now panicking as she asked, "Discretion...shadows...is Wangsheng some kind of business involving 'dealing' with people?" Zhongli chuckled. "It is as you have guessed." The floating companion yelped. Zhongli held up a hand. "The Wangsheng Funeral Parlor organizes burials. We ensure that those who pass on, do so in peace. And, I can bring you to see Rex Lapis' vessel."