Momento Mori

"So let me get this straight," Hu Tao said flatly. "You and your little butt buddy-" "I'd appreciate it if you didn't call him that. Not just out of respect, but also because we did not fornicate," Zhongli explained. Hu Tao rubbed her temples. "Your boy toy is not only going after the Exuvia, but he's also throwing the Qixing into an uproar. The traveler we welcomed into Liyue may very well die here because he knows too much. And the Tsaritsa has somehow found a way to replicate the Sigil of Permission." She dumped three sugar cubes into her steaming cup of tea and stirred. "Oh and lest I forget, you guys have literally been in the same house, in close quarters, yet nothing occurred?" Zhongli coughed and loosened his tie. "I wouldn't say nothing occurred. I thought we were getting somewhere this morning, but unfortunately, he had to attend to other matters. He's actually," Zhongli said thoughtfully, "not what I expected a member of the Fatui to be. A highly ranked member of Her Majesty's army, no less."

"Oh yes, wonderful. Anything else you want to throw into my lap? Perhaps another apocalyptic event? I'll take my counselor's fee out of your next paycheck," Hu Tao said cheerily, kicking her feet up on the desk as she sipped. Zhongli gulped. "Well...um..." He loosed a breath. "I would advise you to grab something a bit stronger than that tea you're holding for this next bit."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hu Tao downed her third glass of an unidentifiable liquor. Whatever it was, Zhongli smelled it from his seat. She stared out of a window that held a view of the Liyue Plaza, its citizens blissfully unaware of the danger ahead of them. Zhongli tried for nonchalance. "It's unlike you to be so silent. Perhaps I should have-" "You have to tell him."

Zhongli sighed. "Surely you can see why that is a terrible idea." "Listen, you idiot," Hu Tao hissed, "you haven't killed me or shown any inclination to, despite how I speak to you. You haven't killed Childe either. Which tells me that despite you being a literal archon , you don't lack humanity. You need to tell him. Immediately. Maybe he could talk to his queen and you could find a different way." Zhongli moved his eyes to the ceiling and shut them. "I'm afraid it is likely too late. If the plan the Tsaritsa laid out unfolded as intended; he is already on his way to the Golden House." Hu Tao tapped her fingers against the desk. "Why did you even tell me all of this? I can't do anything. And you certainly won't. Did you just want to watch me lose my composure for fun?" Zhongli smiled sadly. "No. I needed someone to know. I cannot tell you if it is for closure, or perhaps guilt. All I know is that the feeling I had as Aether told me about a plan I already had a hand in made me want to throw up as soon as I left. He trusted me, Hu Tao. He looked at me as though I could help him." He gripped his chair. "And unfortunately, I am of no use to him."

Hu Tao shook her head. "Is this trial, as you put it, even necessary? What are the people of Liyue going to do without their god?"

Zhongli's gaze returned to the ceiling. "I suppose we'll both find out, won't we? But I am tired, I'm afraid. I've had a few centuries to think this through. I can only promise you it will be over soon."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Childe never once thought himself religious. And people never once thought him compassionate.

As he traveled to the Golden House and descended into the part of him that killed without blinking, slaughtered without feeling, Childe hesitated. He was a few kilometers away when he spotted a statue of Rex Lapis. Perhaps...he could try. It wouldn't wash his hands of anything, but he could honor a god who was willing to sacrifice himself many times throughout history for his land. Who was willing to sacrifice others he loved, too. Childe stopped in front of the statue and knelt on one knee. Five minutes, he bargained. He would give himself five minutes not to be the person who reveled while standing in their enemies' blood. Five minutes to be that little boy in the Abyss, who only wished for enough power to be recognized. Who was too young to understand the real cost.

And so began his vigil. He stumbled over what to say, but eventually landed on a prayer he had heard one of the servants utter quietly in the courtyards when she thought no one could hear. Chide should have reported her, as the prayer was nothing from Snezhnaya or in tribute to his queen, but he couldn't. And as he repeated the words the girl's broken voice had pleaded with all those months ago, he finally understood why. "You, who carry those who are weary. You, who look upon all with naught but grace and mercy. You, who-" he choked, "see those that are lost, and light the way home, no matter land or creed. I ask for the strength to do what I must. I ask for the patience that you have been so kind to show me." He closed his eyes and added his own plea. "And forgive me for what I am about to do. But surely, you understand my will to sacrifice and to serve." And as he got up and dusted off his pants, he let himself mourn during the last minute he'd given himself. And continued on towards his mission.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Laying in his bed, holding the shirt he had given a soldier the night before, Zhongli listened to a prayer from one of his statues. And wept. I'm afraid it is I who will have to beg for forgiveness in the end, Childe. From the people I will be abandoning.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Childe ran towards the entrance to the Golden House, spotting four guards standing at the ready. "Halt!" One of them shouted, brandishing his polearm and running straight at Childe.

He was the first to die.

The second barely got a word out before an arrow flew through his throat. The third tried to tackle him, but Childe barely checked his pace as he twisted the guard's neck with a sickening crack. He fell to the ground, unmoving. And as he climbed the steps to the front door, the fourth guard stood in front of the door shaking, his grip tightening on his sword. "Please," was all he said, his voice breaking. Childe struck his dagger into the man's heart, watching him crumple to the ground as he gurgled out something unrecognizable. Childe carefully moved all of the bodies to the back of the Golden House, and gently closed the eyes of a guard who had died with them wide open in shock. "Safe journeys," he said softly, climbing his way up to the roof. He sheathed his daggers and crossed his legs, peering out at the night-covered entry bridge. So, he would have to wait then. No matter, he thought, cracking his knuckles. The challenge he had been craving would arrive soon. And so would his queen's recognition.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Childe listened to Aether slowly figure out what was going on, his companion flitting around in a panic. "We've got to stop him!" she cried. Childe tilted his head, sheathing his blades. Perhaps a little fun was in order first. He stayed behind the column he was hiding in and let his voice echo across the mint. "You've already fulfilled your tasks as guides, so why do you still linger here? Haven't you seen enough trouble for today?" Paimon yelped. "Huh? Who's there?" Childe took his time approaching the dais as he said, "If you were Fatui, I imagine that you would be entitled to a generous reward from the Tsaritsa herself. But now, you're nothing but dross." He gripped his still-sheathed daggers. "And you're in my way." Paimon's face was still in shock. "So you've been planning to take the Gnosis from inside the Exuvia all along?" Childe smiled grimly. "As one of the Eleven Fatui Harbingers, it is my duty to see the will of the Tsaritsa fulfilled. She will get that which she desires." By any means necessary. No matter how much blood must spill. Aether stepped forward, sword drawn. "Not if I have anything to say about it."

"Ah, so now we come to my favorite part," Childe grinned with a wink, "The battle. You see for me, the greatest pleasure of being a Harbinger lies in crossing blades with strong opponents." Paimon scowled as she declared, "We won't let what happened in Mondstadt happen ever again!" Childe laughed. "Fighting talk, I love it! Now," he stretched his arms as he walked to the middle of the dais, and studied Aether expectantly, "Let's see if you can live up to it."