7| Engaged

┏━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┓

Engaged

┗━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┛

Chapter 7: Engaged (Ava's POV)

The rest of the week went by at a snail's pace, in my opinion. It was the same every single day. I would go and teach the kids, I would come home and take a shower then get ready, and then either meet Victoria or just wander around Kilthorne. I would go to our most popular market and buy little things, or I would take Ashton's old bicycle and ride that around town. 

But today's different because today is the day before Brooke's engagement. The night, actually, the whole day's already gone. 

I went and bought a dress on my own since I wasn't able to go with them when they bought Brooke's engagement dress. I knocked on her door. 

"Come in!" 

I pushed it open and strolled in, finding her sitting on her bed, looking through all the jewelry that she owns. Which is a lot. 

"Hey," she said, giving me a small smile. 

"Hey, what are you doing?" I sat on her bed, crossing my legs. 

"I'm just picking what jewelry to wear tomorrow night. Did you pick everything out already?" 

"Yeah," I nodded. 

"The only problem is the ring," she mumbled. 

"What ring?" 

"The engagement ring. I was supposed to go pick it out with Rhys but he went on his own. He said that he would be too busy afterward with projects for some schools in Kilthorne. He picked them out, I hope he picked a good ring, that's all." 

I blinked once. Then twice. "W-wait, wait a minute. He told you that he would buy them on his own? Because he'd be too busy later to go with you?" 

She nodded. "Why? What's wrong?" 

I shook my head slowly. "Nothing. He must be real busy then," I mumbled. 

Brooke never told him she would be late, he just saw me at Aurora and thought it was a good idea to ruin my day and make me cancel all my plans. And like the idiot I am, I listened. 

She continued picking her jewelry and I fell into thought. For the first time, I was thinking of telling her the truth about Rhys and me. I know it won't really matter because they're not in a real relationship and chances are, she won't care, but she'll ask a lot of questions. I just don't want her to be walking into her marriage blind. He probably won't tell her and I don't think Brooke deserves to be lied to. By anybody. 

"Ava." 

"Yeah?" I snapped out my thoughts, looking at her. 

She sighed, looking as if she wanted to tell me something too and it was on the tip of her tongue but she was biting it down. 

"What?" I questioned. 

"I'm sorry," she said softly. 

I frowned in confusion, "For what?" 

She leaned back against the headboard, leaving the jewelry on the bed. "For everything that's happened since Griffin left. I've been causing so much trouble and you're the only one who covered for me." 

I stared at her quietly.

"Ashton would yell at me, mom and dad would too, but you never did. When I needed someone to come pick me up in the middle of the night, you made Ashton come get me, and when he refused, you drove yourself there. You're the best sister I could ever ask for, Ava. Really. You've supported me through everything and I don't come remotely close to you. I feel like a very bad sister. For everything I did and... for what I'm about to do." She sniffled a little, wiping her cheek with the back of her hand and going back to picking jewelry.