19| Threat

┏━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┓

Threat

┗━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┛

Chapter 19: Threat (Ava's POV)

Within two days, the palace was prepared and decorated for the crowning ceremony tonight. Just like Rhys' birthday and announcement ball, and the wedding, we had loads of guests tonight. 

I was nervous. I was going to be the center of attention tonight and I never want that. It's way too nerve-wracking and scares the life out of me. I had a black silk robe tied around my waist while I did my hair and makeup for the night. Yesterday, Mrs. Pearl, my mom, and I all went to Fantasia and picked out dresses for tonight. Rhys was currently taking a shower and the room was dead quiet apart from the sound of the water running. 

From our wedding night up until now, things have been tense between us. We're both scared to say the wrong things in front of each other, I'm scared to question him too. Sometimes I think of asking questions about the past and then I think about the way I reacted to his apology. I just couldn't handle it. It was too overwhelming, too shocking, too unexpected. 

What if I ask about his reasons and what he tells me is something that only breaks my heart even more? What if I'm overthinking and the answer is really simple? What if he broke my heart because he just didn't love me anymore? That's the answer I'm most scared of hearing, so I just stopped asking altogether. 

We both fell into a routine, it's like we're performing on a stage twenty-four/seven. Pretending to be the perfect husband and wife with incredible compatibility as if we were madly in love. In front of his parents, we act normal, we act like we're enjoying being newlyweds. I let him hold my waist and hug me, he lets me hold his hand and link our arms. And as soon as we're out of their sight, we're completely different. Cold, distant, hateful. 

I sighed, setting the compact down on the vanity as the bathroom door opened. 

He came out wearing black sweatpants with a black robe on, leaving it open. His hair was soaked and he had a smaller towel in his hand which he used to ruffle and dry his hair. He walked over, standing behind me and glancing at me in the mirror while he grabbed his hairbrush. 

We've been sharing the same room for three nights and four days now, and he sleeps shirtless every night, comes out of the shower with nothing but a towel around his waist, and I still can't get used to it. I glanced down at his abs before grabbing the makeup brush and applying some blush to my cheeks. He put his hands on the counter from behind me and leaned forward, looking for something. I stiffened almost instantly, holding his gaze through the mirror. "What are you doing?" 

"Looking for something." 

"What?" 

He looked down at the vanity and grabbed my hair serum. 

I frowned at him. "Have you been using my hair serum? Is that why it's running out so fast?" 

"It smells good and it made my hair soft. Although, I don't think I'm doing it right." 

My eyes narrowed. "That is mine." 

"We're married." 

"So?" 

"What's mine is yours, my love."

I opened my mouth to retort with something snippy but nothing came out.