16| Mine

┏━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┓

Mine

┗━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┛

Chapter 16: Mine (Rhys' POV)

Both Ava and I sat at one of the tables that were set up in the ceremony hall, watching people shuffle around, drink, laugh, and come up to us and saying 'congratulations' repeatedly. Nobody's dancing yet though. I think they're still waiting for our first dance. 

The poem I gave Ava... I don't know what I was trying to do when I did that. I don't even know what I'm doing right now. I don't know if I want her to continue hating me or not, I don't know how to make her stop even if it is the latter, there's nothing I'm sure of. I think about it and sometimes I feel like all this hatred between us should end for good. But then I think a little more and I realize that she's safe because of our hostility and hateful behavior towards each other. I'm married now, so I have to be very careful. 

Because friends aren't always friends, especially when they stab you in the back. That's what happened the first time, isn't it? That's why I had to let her go. 

"You didn't write a poem," I said, turning to her. 

She was looking around too and she had a small smile on her lips that didn't seem half genuine. "I don't have poetry for you anymore," she replied. 

I stared at her, my eyes scanning her face for something. Anything, any emotion. But she kept her face void of any and didn't let her feelings show. "You could have written about hate. Something other than 'I hate you' of course," I reasoned. 

She turned to me. "You don't seem to get it, so let me make this easier for you." She leaned forward and grabbed my hand, making a show out of it while some women around us cooed in adoration. 

My jaw ticked. 

"I don't have anything to give you. Not a single emotion. No love, no hate, nothing. You don't deserve it anymore, Rhys." She smiled and then leaned back, lifting her hand. 

I grabbed her hand, pinning it to the table, and leaned forward. She seemed to stiffen then. "Do you remember that one poem I gave you all those years ago?" 

"You gave me too many, which one?" she taunted. 

"Your soul, every kiss, every word, every touch, every—" 

"I remember," she cut me off, getting agitated. "That doesn't apply anymore, I'm not yours." 

"That poem will always apply to you and me." 

"Do you really think just because we're married now, you have a claim on me?" 

"I never used that word. I don't own you, Ava. But you were mine. You always have been and you know it. You still are. Legally now." I brushed a finger over her ring. 

"People don't own people, okay?"

"But they do," I replied, leaning back in my chair and lifting my hand off of hers. "You know they do." 

"Won't you two have your first dance?" We both looked up at Mrs. Pearl. "Everyone's waiting, come on." 

I doubt anybody cares, they're just waiting so that they can dance. I stood up and held my hand out for Ava. She eyed it for a moment before taking it and standing up. We moved to the middle of the room and the music slowed down. We didn't pick any song, so I'm assuming one of our parents' did. As soon as we heard the first note, we knew exactly where this was from. She frowned, both of us looking at my parents.