C26 | The Mark

Following the newly instated Alpha, with nearly all watching, Cora had to remember to breathe

Following the newly instated Alpha, with nearly all watching, Cora had to remember to breathe. Thee. overwhelming knowledge that she could no longer hide behind a language barrier sent her heart into a heavy-pounding rhythm.

All the previous interactions and conversations came back to her. He had said he would choose her, if she wanted. He had attacked his own cousin for the position of Alpha—the person she was to mate. Fresh tattoos lined his body, his hold on the position strong and clear.

And here Cora was, following him, all alone. No translator. No aid. Her steps felt light as her legs moved on their own.

Once they made their way down a hall that only guards lined, Cora allowed her gaze to wander over Ludovic. To take in the ridges of his muscles, or the long, thin dreads down his back, eyeing the place that his thick belt situated just above his hips. She even took in the way he swayed as he walked.

He was larger, and thicker, than any man she had ever known.

She tried to look ahead of him, catching natural light ahead, and saw that the hallway spilled out into an enclosed courtyard with a single, old oak tree trunk visible. "Where are we going?" she muttered, the question surprising her, her voice gently echoing against the stone walls.

His deep voice resonated much stronger than hers. "Nowhere in particular. It just looks better if you walk away with me."

Cora parted her lips, but no response formed. Only a grin managed to take her, surprised and unsurprised as to how bold he was, although her smile fell when he turned to casually face her with a raised brow. She stared back at him, wide-eyed. Ludovic was so much more intense than Theran ever was. He even slowed in his walking.

"You're quiet," he stated, his stark gray eyes looking her over.

"I am not used to talking to you," she mumbled, clenching her fists.

He smirked, which then turned into him looking away as a crooked smile formed, giving her his back once more.

"Why's that funny?" Cora asked, although she smiled as well.

"You look like a deer that's realized it's being hunted by a wolf."

With blushing cheeks, she said, "Well, I suppose that's not far from the truth."

She couldn't see him, but she heard a faint chuckle escape.

Tempting thoughts invaded her mind. Ludovic was such an impressive male that flirting with him wasn't as daunting—at times— as she thought it would be; like climbing a hundred-foot tree as a joke, only to realize you already made it halfway up.

Grasping that she was actually attempting to flirt with him felt so out-of-body, and yet it was real.

There was a desire to enjoy the moment, to melt her worries away and enjoy the fun. But that felt dangerous, like letting a wall down. Nothing went her way, especially not as of late.