C4 | The Reveal

Cora steeled herself for this confrontation

In the continent of Eloria, lycans had fought tooth and nail for the hold they had on their lands. The lycans would not tolerate insurrections, as they were not known for their leniency.

Especially if they were the Ashmore Clan, which was a family inside the Reiger Pack. Cora knew of them, and they were a Clan that took pride in their severity.

Despite hearing stories of how lycans looked, it was another thing to witness them – the Ashmores were all of varying shades of blonde. One sported very clean dreadlocks, the others with braided hair, and another with the sides of their head shaven. One of them bore a distinct beard, consisting of two braids with metal decorations lining through his hair.

They were all well-muscled, including a female that was among them. They wore some variations of leather or well-tailored wool, either donning leather boots for shoes, or sandals, or completely barefooted.

Cora lightly jogged through the dirt path and slowing when she stepped on the rocks, as Ben was on the other side of the gentle stream. Nearly thirty villagers gathered to watch. Despite the torches, it was still hard to see everything as she crossed the cold river, wetting her feet and the edge of her dress. Ben was on the other side, a giant claw mark striking across his face to reveal red tissue on his cheeks, even a little white sticking through where fat was exposed. The claws had struck deep.

He'd be scarred for life, there was no question.

A younger girl sat next to him, along with an older one while they cleaned the rags in the river. Both were a dirty blonde and wore maroon dresses. The younger girl came over to Cora once glancing her way, her large eyes encasing burning, blue irises.

Cora, right away, realized it was Macie. That's right. The stonemason's daughter. A smile nearly formed on Cora's face, happy to meet the young girl that stole her brother's heart and gave him hope of a new life, but it was all weighed down with the reality of what happened. The young girl placed a bloodied finger to her lips and spoke quietly. "Shh, he's really out of it. Don't get him all startled."

Cora asked, "Macie, is it?"

Angry tears welled in the girl's eyes, and fortunately, Macie seemed not to see the red in Cora's eyes in the dark of night as she gave a firm nod. "Yes. Ben saved me from one of them. Don't be mad at him, please. And don't let them take him."

Cora nodded a few times, speaking with what little comfort she could muster. "Yeah, it's alright. I am here to help."

In the slight distance, down the river, Cora heard someone speak with an accent that she had never heard before, his voice carrying over the river. "Come over here, witch. We waited, per agreement with our truce. I can smell that the boy belongs to you."

Hilda walked forward, careful with the slippery rocks as the lycans stood in a shallow section of the stream. Cora dropped her gaze once stealing a quick look at them, trying to watch through her fallen hair.