C2 | The Missing Boy

With not being able to do anything about it, Cora set aside the issue  of the dagger and polished their mirror

With not being able to do anything about it, Cora set aside the issue  of the dagger and polished their mirror. She did this so she could look  at her eyes, just in case they were hazel on a day other than the new  moon.

But as she stared at her reflection, her eyes were still a burning  pink as the color hovered between red and hazel. That meant that the  moon was waxing, halfway between its cycles. On the full moon, her iris  would burn a bright red, and then as the moon waned her iris would fade  of the ruby color and turn to her natural color of hazel.

On days of the new moon, she would spend hours looking at herself and reveling in her normalcy,.

To the lycans, she was not with a curse, but a blessing.

Without Hilda, they'd find Cora within days through the wolves, owls,  and other creatures that their magic could observe through. Hilda said  she could feel them scouring the forests, looking for any sign of the  missing Phasing Ruby.

One day I may have to just go to them.

Cora braided her hair, changed out of her nightdress into a gray  dress with leather boots. She spent the first hour kneading bread dough  for them, per her mother's old recipe that she knew by heart. She hoped  that whoever Ben married knew how to make sourdough, as that was his  favorite.

She had to admit that some days, it was tempting to leave and  see which Alpha would take her. At least it would be better than growing  old and dying here, once Ben was his own man. She didn't want him to  have to worry about her, not in his older age when he'd have his own  family.

She had grown up lonely, so she didn't quite know if she'd like to be  around so many people. She could only visit the village when the moon  was absent in the sky. The villagers believed the lie that Hilda was her  grandmother, and not some generous witch that agreed to protect her all  those years ago. They noted Cora's sparse attendance, to which they  lied and said she was scared of leaving her home. At least it was a partial lie, anyway.

Cora's second order of the lonely was to mend their other clothes. With Ben growing like a well-watered plant, and money scarce, Cora had to get creative with what they wore. 

Sometime around midday, Cora spent time on their garden as she took  pride in trying to keep the home in order. After covering herself in  dirt and sweat, she cleaned off her hands to spend the next hour  churning butter.

Once the morning chores were finished, she sat outside on the porch  to eat an apple as she eyed her parent's headstones. It still felt so  wrong to have her father's there already. A sign that I am nearing the time when I know I need to leave and find my own identity.

Cora looked up at the endlessly blue, boring sky. I wonder what life as a lycan would be like. Would I have a family there? Would they accept me?