C29 | Arriving to Ingram

Small change---so when I edit this book, I'll end up making the scene that just happened, occur a few days into the travel, versus the first night. Here, I am just condensing time and pretending that it only takes 2 days to get to Ingram

Also, sorry for delays! I changed this a few times until it felt as close to what I want as possible!

Waking up that morning, Cora stared at the stone wall in absolute confusion on where she was, what bed she was in, and why it felt like someone was next to her

For a moment, she only remembered her life back in Kamas, in the small cabin she had been confined to for so long.

Everything quickly peeled back, piece by piece, from the loss of her parents, to Ben's attack, to grandiose of Reiger's Edge, to Theran, to the shadow...and to everything she did with Ludovic.

The warmth at her back made sense now—it was the alpha of Reiger. The male that marked her neck, whose pleasure she was eager to conquer. She smiled to herself, wondering if he was still asleep. Slowly, Cora turned over underneath the fur, eyeing the sapphire morning sky that was barely visible through the trees.

Sure enough, Ludovic was resting on his back, sleeping soundly. The size of him was still evident, even just lying there.

Cora could stare for hours, taking in every detail of him. How often did one get to see such a formidable lycan in a pure state of peaceful rest?

She took in the way his nose had the smallest ridge, when it otherwise looked straight. Or the shape of his plump, yet masculine lips...or maybe it was the shape of his jaw that made them masculine. She even stared at his eyelashes in the dim light of early morning; such a random, innocuous detail. It just made him feel so very real, especially as she noted the indents of scars, or lines on his face around his eyes.

This was really her life. That male had done things to her only hours ago she never thought she'd experience.

His head turned towards her, his breathing still slow and hypnotizing. Those thin dreadlocks of his were messily scattered next to him, and he remained sleeping.

Despite his mark was on her neck, or her body that was filled with his scent, she still felt like she shouldn't be sleeping next to him. It had yet to sink in that she was more than a human that Grimshaw was dead set on hunting.

Someone had chosen her to be his mate.

Her eyelids grew heavy as she eyed his exposed, muscled arm, breathing in his scent...and she fell back asleep with a languid blink. When she next awoke, the bed was distinctly empty, and the sun burned in with golden rays. Sitting up, covering her breasts with the blanket, her gaze latched to a giant wolf sleeping in front of the fireplace.

This one was significantly smaller than Ludovic's, and also not charcoal-colored like his fur. The one in the room was a rich brown, or perhaps caramel. The creature opened its black eyes, yawning in a display of white teeth before transforming. Cora could hear awkward sounds of bones and joints, much like when pulling a raw chicken leg out of its socket, revealing Mina.